Happy Thanksgiving! Photos, Inscriptions, Names, Archives

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2000
      Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

      Hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with
      family and friends.

      If you're setting your table with Coral Reef, Lei Lani, Hawaiian
      Flowers or any of Don Blanding's designs, I hope you'll take lots of
      photos and post them in the Members' Photos file. Even if you're
      using other dishes, I'd love to see some people pix!

      Just thought of another way to track DB's travels, not foolproof but
      it might help. He frequently inscribed books to people and included
      a date, sometimes a place. I suspect many of the books were signed
      during book tours around the country. Would you look through your DB
      books and compile a list of such inscriptions to post here? Book
      name, edition, person's name, location and date, as available.

      Bev and I have located a Mainland copy of the 1929-1967 Index to the
      Honolulu Advertiser and Honolulu Star-Bulletin. It's in the
      University of California, Berkeley, Main Library News/Microfilm
      reference section.

      I already have a list of more than 65 Blanding citations from the
      Index (via Honolulu Community College ... thanks to librarian Irene)
      for 1930-1960 and a few from later 1980s Indices. What I'd like to
      compile now is a list of names or subjects associated with both
      Blanding and Hawaii. I know they are scattered through over 1870
      messages here. Examples: Sawtelle, Creager, Hull....

      Would each of you contribute a short list of names/subjects? Then
      with that list someone closer to Berkeley than Bev can visit the
      library and make photocopies of the relevant Index pages and
      circulate them to the group. Armed with these Index pages, any of us
      can order microfilm via interlibrary loan, pull copies of articles
      and make them available to group members. UC Berkeley also has
      Advertiser/S-B microfilm from mid-1948 onward. I am not sure if they
      also have the post-1967 Index.

      Good news: My contact at the University of Hawaii confirms they have
      microfiche from the Advertiser/S-B archives. (The archives that a
      certain researcher said were not available to the public!) They have
      pulled 155 pages of articles related to Don Blanding and are awaiting
      my order and payment for photocopies. This material, from 1939
      onward, is not indexed, so they cannot determine exactly what's
      included without reading each file. There may be some duplication of
      material I already have, but that's a small matter. What it means is
      that I will not have to order and read quite so much microfilm!

      At some point, we may be able to follow the same procedure with names
      or subjects other than "Blanding."

      So, once you relax after the turkey feast, it's list-making time,
      folks!

      ~~Cadia
    • Bill McMurray
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2000
        Hi Cadia,
        Happy Thanksgiving to you. Here in Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving in
        October so my turkey dinner has been well digested for a long time now.
        In regards to the timeline of DB's travels, I've been watching to see who
        would remember that you have a postcard in your My Glass Duchess site
        written by DB from Calgary just a month before he died. It is addressed to
        Lillian Meade in Houston, Texas. Had you forgotten it?
        Bill
      • Allen Dayton
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2000
          -I have two books signed by Don Blanding on April 14, 1947 when he was
          in Oklahoma City. I also have a newspaper clipping, probably from the
          Daily Oklahoman, written by Beatrice Stahl entitled "Blanding Believes
          in Dreams" and it was written shortly after his April 14 Visit in
          Oklahoma City. The article is about his beliefs and his letters that
          were carved across the front of the fireplace mantel in Vagabond's
          house.