Hugh Ross Blanding and Ida Kimble

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
      Here's a mystery for you:

      On FamilySearch, the LDS site, I've located Hugh R. Blanding married
      to Ida Bacon on 24 Oct. 1881...but in MINNESOTA, not Wisconsin. The
      date would be logical since DB's elder brother Hugh was born in Oct.
      1882...in the Dakotas.

      Various sources give Ida's maiden name as Kimble, but I know I've
      heard Bacon in connection with my Blanding research; just can't
      recall where. Also, in one of the 1956 Star-Bulletin articles,
      Blanding mentions that his mother was from Minnesota.

      Census records from 1900 and 1910 state that Ida K. was born in
      Wisconsin (Feb. 1855) and that her father/mother were from Wisconsin
      and Vermont, respectively. However, since there are other
      discrepancies between these two records, and her maiden name is not
      spelled out on either one, I'm willing to believe that Bacon may be
      her surname. Or that she may have been previously married...age 26
      is rather late for a first marriage. Or that the Minnesota marriage
      record was transcribed inaccurately.

      In any case, I'm sending for the Minnesota marriage certificate; the
      name combination is just too coincidental to ignore.

      Anyone have further details on Ida?

      ~~Cadia
    • rubiconlaw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
        Cadia,
        According the Garfield County Geneologists book "Enid Cemetary Vol.
        1": BLANDING, Jessie BACON died:1889 buried: April 10, 1889
        grave location: original section, block P.L10.
        I posted that some time ago so that might be what you are thinking
        about. But who knows, the name has now come up at least twice!
        It isn't much, but Ida was a charter member of one of (if not the)
        first card clubs in Lawton. Oraganized in March 1902 it was
        the "Merry Wives Duplicate Whist Club."
        Jim
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
          Jim,

          Thanks...that's the reference I recall. I am beginning to think that
          Ida Kimble Blanding's mother's maiden name was Bacon. This would
          account for her daughter's middle name. Hugh Ross Blanding had a
          sister named Jessie for whom he likely named his daughter.

          A good bet is that the Minnesota transcription is incorrect, that Ida
          provided her mother's maiden name and not her own name for the
          marriage record, or that information was transposed on the record
          itself.

          ~~Cadia
        • Gerald Argetsinger
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
            Cadia --

            I agree that the LDS information could be incorrect -- or, it could be
            coincidence ... another person with just enough information that makes
            us think the two are one.

            That is another reason I would really like to get an obituary for Scott
            Creager. My mother maintains that Scotty was already dead by Oct.,
            1939! That date seems to fit the other things we know about Blanding,
            his marriage and his whereabouts.

            The LDS geneological information is only as good as the individual who
            submits it. My family and friends have found many mistakes in those
            archives. Family records are NOT always as good as we would hope.

            Jerry
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 22, 2003
              Cadia, did you ever send for this marriage certificate?

              On Nov. 9, 2000 Cadia wrote:
              "On FamilySearch, the LDS site, I've located Hugh R. Blanding married
              to Ida Bacon on 24 Oct. 1881...I'm sending for the Minnesota marriage
              certificate..."

              P.S...I think I've located Hugh Ross in Grand Rapids, South Dakota in
              1878.