Scotty Creager

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2000
      For the past month, tj has been digging into Chowchilla via emails in
      and around the City. I've received 3 responses and no one is able to
      identify the Scotty Creager name anywhere within what exists today. I did
      learn that the Chowchilla Library is suppose to go on line either in Dec 2000
      or Jan 2001, which might help in digging into their archives. Does anyone
      really know that Scotty was born or raised in Chowchilla? I know DB donated
      all his books to the Chowchilla library when he left Carmel and it is thought
      that occurred because Scotty was from Chowchilla. Does anyone have any other
      information or leads in this area.
      tj is going to go to Chowchilla in the next couple of months but was
      hoping to have some better more concrete leads to follow up on as we did in
      Carmel. If not, tj will start at the Library as usual and go from there.
      Thanks for any help on this...tj
    • Beverly Leinbach
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2000
        Goodmluck,

        When I spoke to the Library, they had no records and had opened in 1940.

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2000
          tj,
          You were asking about Scotty Creagor...here's all the info I have on
          him, which is sketchy at best:

          * He was born about 1900 or 1901, possibly in California.

          * Sometimes spelled Creagor...sometimes Creager.

          * Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Creagor.

          * Had a sister named Billie Jean.

          * Family had a home in Chowchilla in the 30's.

          * Was possibly a scriptwriter in Hollywood.

          * First read "Vagabond's House" around 1932, and vowed to meet Don.

          * Became Don's secretary around 1933, while in L.A.

          * Helped with "Memory Room", named the sketch 'Lotus Dream'.

          * Stayed with Don in Taos in 1936. Travelled for two months afterward.

          * Lived with Don in Carmel.

          * Scotty died near the end of 1939.

          I wrote to the friends of the Chowchilla Library a few months ago,
          asking for any info they might have on the Creagors...and never heard
          back from them.

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2000
            Keith, thanks for the extra info....I plan to totally search Chowchilla
            over the next 6 months, especially after the holidays are done. Right now,
            I'm just sending off little bombs into the community and actually got some
            in Chowchilla that I located and they are interested in the quest, but no one
            had heard of Scotty and there was very little knowledge of DB. Good start
            though.
            The 1937 Pine Cone lists some of DB's favorite books and I would assume
            these are the one's he may have donated...I'll search the Library when I get
            there. I've emailed the cemetary also, but no response yet....I thought I
            might get lucky and find that Scotty was buried there.
            The crowd at the grand opening chuckled when I mentioned that DB had
            donated all his books to Chowchilla....sort of stunned silence that he didn't
            give them to Carmel. When I explained that Scotty was from Chowchilla, it at
            least gave a plausible explanation that they accepted. I did have a few
            people come up afterwards and question me about Scotty, though I found no one
            that remembered him. If we had a picture of Scotty it might help jog
            memories as there are people in Carmel that remember DB and met him. Maybe,
            just maybe, a photo might register with them because it was soooooo long
            ago....
            Once the show is finished (Nov 18th, last day), I plan to photo or video
            the DB scrapbook I found at the Vagabond House Inn. It has some photo's of
            DB and I remember one with another man and now that I think of it, it could
            have been Scotty????? I am convinced that this is Edythe's scrapbook of DB.
            I just can't see DB keeping one as he lived in the moment not the past....tj
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2000
              TJ,

              There's a "mystery man" portrait in the photographer's portfolio that
              contains the two portraits of DB. Based partly on the other photos
              we have accumulated, I believe this portfolio dates from about 1937-
              1939, Hawaii. Just a strong hunch, but I think this portrait may be
              Scotty.

              Any way we can compare it to the photo that Jerry has of Scotty?

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2000
                Cadia: I'll go into the photo section and look at it and see if it
                might be close to what I remember in DB's scrapbook picture I saw....I won't
                go down to Carmel again until we close up the show on the weekend of Nov
                17-18.......tj
              • Gerald Argetsinger
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 21 9:22 AM
                  I'll do it! Fascinating find! You're really on a role!
                  Jerry
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 26 6:24 PM
                    Jerry,

                    Later this evening I'll upload a photo that I think may be Scotty.
                    It's a portrait in the photography studio album from Honolulu. TJ
                    says he doesn't believe it is Scotty, but I'm not giving up on this
                    image until you've seen it. Perhaps your mother could take a look at
                    it, too. Best guess is that the portrait dates from about 1937-39.

                    ~~Cadia
                  • Gerald Argetsinger
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 27 5:51 AM
                      OK I'll have a look. But remember Scotty died before my mother began
                      dating my father. My dad was his roommate. I have the only photo of
                      Scotty that my mother owned and I think Keith posted it on the Web. Of
                      course it is possible that she saw many other pix of him, so it's still
                      worth asking.

                      Jerry
                    • keith2draw@home.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 27 6:05 AM
                        Jerry,

                        You never gave me a copy of your photo.

                        Keith

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 27 7:44 AM
                          Hm-m-m-m who was it I sent a copy to? Cadia?

                          I'll have to get out my file and look.

                          Jerry
                        • keith2draw@home.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 27 8:51 AM
                            Jerry...might have been tj. He supposedly has some photos of Scotty,
                            and he was looking for something to compare them to.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 27 11:15 AM
                              Keith & Cadia,

                              Where have you posted Scotty’s photos?

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 27 1:36 PM
                                Cadia,

                                Have to agree with Keith……one face is narrow and the other appears rounder.
                                TJ, did you ever make it to Scotty’s home town in Central California? They
                                may have a year book there someplace from his high school.

                                Bev.

                                Hard to say Cadia. The man in tj's photo seems to have a longer,
                                angular face...whereas your mystery man has a rotund face...pudgy.

                                If we could only get a larger version of tj's...and of course Jerry's
                                photo of Scotty!

                                Keith

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                www.newaydirect.com
                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=170603.1361494.2950176.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700020083:N/A=
                                613960/?http://www.newaydirect.com>

                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 27 4:11 PM
                                  Jerry, Keith, Bev, TJ ... all who love a mystery!

                                  I've added the portrait of a young man I think may be Scotty Creager
                                  to Files: Photos: Family & Friends.

                                  This portrait is in the Honolulu photography studio's album that
                                  contains two portraits of DB along with somebody's wedding and family
                                  photos. Based on DB's appearance, I am guessing the date to be about
                                  1937-1939; the age of this man also seems to be mid-30s, a good match
                                  to Scotty. These three portraits are the only ones of men and all
                                  are together at the back of the album. DB signed one portrait in
                                  1950, alluding to the many years gone by.

                                  Courtesy of TJ, I have seen a small, blurry image of DB and a younger
                                  man that is supposed to be Scotty. Even from this image, the
                                  likeness is quite close to the man in the portrait. The receding
                                  hairline, wavy hair, approximate age and general physique all lend
                                  credence to my theory. I will also add the small photo of DB and
                                  Scotty to the Files -- see what you all think!

                                  TJ has said he does not agree that the portrait could be Scotty. I
                                  don't recall where TJ said he got the photo(s) that he e-mailed to
                                  me. Jerry, was this yours? Or do you have a better one?

                                  I guess I really, really want the portrait to be Scotty -- that would
                                  make my day, my week, my whole year!

                                  ~~Cadia
                                • keith2draw@home.com

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 27 6:12 PM
                                      Bev,

                                      He may have went to high school elsewhere...possibly Los Angeles...or
                                      Texas.

                                      How was your trip to Arizona? Did you meet Kay Mallek?

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 27 7:55 PM
                                        regarding the photo of Scotty from Jerry...Jerry sent it to tj.....tj is
                                        computer dumb at times and I tried to upload it but it didn't work...need to
                                        get my computer tutor again..tj
                                      • Gerald Argetsinger
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 28 6:26 AM
                                          My turn to go crazy. Cadia, I can't find my way into the photo files at
                                          all. I have the group bookmarked, but I've lost your site somehow.
                                          Could you send me the URL again ... sorry.
                                          It's times like these that I know I'm in the liberal arts instead of
                                          technology!

                                          Jerry
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 28 8:22 AM
                                            Jerry and TJ,

                                            To access more than the messages (which are public), you need to
                                            register with Yahoo. Has nothing to do with subscribing to the
                                            group, just a technicality because eGroups is now part of Yahoo. In
                                            the upper left or right corner of the screen there's a "Welcome
                                            eGroups members" logo. Click that, and follow the directions.

                                            Old bookmarks may not work. The URL for the Files is:

                                          • Tom Markle
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 18 5:35 PM
                                              I bought a Vagabond's House book at a little used book store for $3. In it, I
                                              discovered a letter hand written by Don to Mrs. Ethel Chaffee Haag of San
                                              Carlos, Ca., Evidently they had never personally met but had been pen pals
                                              of sorts.
                                              What is most interesting is that the letter was postmarked 12/23/40 from Ft.
                                              Pierce Florida. In the letter Don sadly relates that:

                                              "As relates Scotty Creager. I have sad news. He was my closest and dearest
                                              friend. A fine man, thoughtful, loyal and a grand companion. He died very
                                              suddently in Honolulu this last August, cerebral hemmorage, almost
                                              instantaneously. I miss him so much. He had married the year before. His
                                              wife had precededed him to the coast and he was leaving for the States in a
                                              week. It has been a great shock to all of us who loved him."

                                              He then writes about being the luckiest guy around having married Dorothy
                                              and having a ready made family who loves him and he loves them. He signs
                                              off with his usual Goofus bird signature but has 2 birds instead of one, facing
                                              each other, obviously it is he and Dorothy. The letter is written on the
                                              Talisman pamphlet (actually letter head) with the Talisman story inside.
                                              Quite a find for $3. I had wondered how Scotty had actually died and now I
                                              know from the horses mouth, so to speak. The book was also inscribed to
                                              Ethel Mignon Haag, a different middle name than what was on the letter itself.
                                              Just thought you'd like to know this piece of info if you didn't know it before..tj
                                            • Karen Cotter
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 18 6:42 PM
                                                Wow! chicken skin! Whatta find!