newbie seeking info

  • seadawgee@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2000
      I have recently become aware of Don Blanding thanks to references by
      Jimmy Buffett in his book "A Pirate Looks at Fifty". The name Don
      Blanding is familiar to me because there is Don Blanding Avenue in my
      hometown (kingfisher,Oklahoma). I have been trying to find
      biographical info on Mr. Blanding and have seen from these postings
      that he did graduate from Lawton, OK. High School. My question is
      does anyone know what Mr. Blanding's connection to Kingfisher,OK.
      might be and where would be a good starting place for me to find a
      general biography of Mr. Blanding?
      Thank you.
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2000
        Hello seadawgee (for lack of another name),

        Don was born in Kingfisher, in 1894, hence the street which is named
        after him. There is no biography, as of yet, written about him...or I
        should say, one IS written, by a Dr. Charles Lovell, but not
        published yet. There is a short and general bio in the back of DB's
        1937 book "The Rest of the Road", page 132-141. Several of the
        members in this group have aspirations of writing about the talented
        and versatile Blanding...and so we all "meet" here and trade facts
        and insight about this elusive spirit. Your welcome to join the dig
        (as I like to look at it) and contribute to our findings. Do you
        still live in Kingfisher? You could be a valuable resource for
        scouring newspapers and records in your area.

        Welcome to the group...Keith
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2000
          Seadawgee,

          You may wish to subscribe to our group. The Messages section is open
          to the public, but we have photos and extensive material in our
          Files, Databases and Links areas that is available only to members.

          In addition, part of my website is devoted to Don Blanding:

          http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/blanding.html

          I hope you've read enough of the messages here to know there is an
          exhibit of Don Blanding memorabilia at the Museum of the Great
          Plains, Lawton, Oklahoma (through Oct. 15). Two members of our group
          are assembling a second exhibit to open in Carmel, California, with a
          reception on September 20 and continue for 6 weeks.

          Welcome aboard!

          ~~Cadia

          duchess @ speakeasy.org