I'm back

  • Gerald Argetsinger
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2000
      Hello Blandingites!

      I'm back. (Probably no one missed me ::smile::) Had an interesting
      summer. The primary project was doing Shakespeare's "The Tempest" at
      the Quintero Theatre on 42nd Street in NYC (an Equity Showcase
      Production in English and American Sign Language). We had a lot of fun,
      things went well and we all learned a lot.

      Regarding our hero, I finally read "Hula Moons." I was struck by the
      quality of Blanding's writing in this early travelogue. I felt that he
      achieved a much higher and sustained quality of writing than in some of
      his other books. My mother always said that she had to read Blanding in
      small quanitities because he was so sensual. Frankly, this is the first
      time I really understood what she meant.

      I discovered that my mother owned a linen "runner" from Blanding's
      original Vagabond House at Carmel. It is now in the possession of my
      cousin. I don't think there is really a way to authenticate the item,
      but it's nice to know that it has been in the family for at least fifty
      years and that I have my mother's word that it was given to my father
      and her by Blanding, himself.

      I've skimmed through some of the postings from the past couple of weeks.
      I look forward to keeping up on a more active basis.

      Aloha,
      Jerry
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2000
        Welcome back Jerry...we HAVE missed you! Glad to hear the production
        went well...Keith