Blanding's Work for Vernon Kilns

  • modern@hialoha.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      Hello!

      I'm not a regular member of this group, but
      I've been reading the interesting posts with
      great interest, plus I live in Hawaii, which
      makes the posts all the more interesting!

      I'm completing a manuscript for a book on
      American Dinnerware, and I'd be honored to
      have group members provide some detailed
      background information about Blanding's
      work with Vernon Kilns in California.

      Anyone have specific background
      information/insight about how he formed an
      alliance with Vernon? I'm aware of the
      patterns....looking for information about his
      venture into the dinnerware business.

      Mahalo. Please feel free to contact me
      privately, too:

      mailto:modern@...

      Kathryn Wiese Gibson
      Retrospective Modern Design
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2000
        Kathryn,

        Mr. Faye Bennison of Vernon Kilns sought out Don Blanding to provide
        dinnerware designs. He was the first contributor to the "Famous
        Artists" series that later included Rockwell Kent and Walt Disney
        Studios. This is well-documented in Maxine Nelson's
        book, "Collectible Vernon Kilns" published in 1994 but now out of
        print.

        You're certainly welsome to join our group and have access to the
        rest of the site.