Taos/Carmel

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2000
      Keith,

      Have you viewed all the Taos paper from 1936-40 for DB material? I lost
      track of that episode in our research. Looking for more info about Carmel
      during those years. Armine von Tempski and how she got involved with DB
      during that time.

      Had a thought last night. When Ruth St. Denise danced at the Golden Bough
      Court in Carmel...do you suppose she did so in front of scenery that DB had
      painted??? I'll email the new historical at the Carmel Library and ask her
      to pull that fill for me while I'm there.

      Aloha oe,

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2000
        Bev,

        So far, I've only reviewed the Taos newspaper from 1936...I'm not
        sure Blanding would be mentioned much after that time, as he never
        lived there again. I couldn't obtain the microfilm from 1932 when he
        stayed there previously.

        Don met Armine in 1928 at a dinner...then met her again several years
        later. The Balls (Armine & Allen) stayed with Don and Scotty in
        Taos...then travelled with them for part of their "Vagabond's House
        on Wheels" adventure.

        I believe the Balls stayed with Don & Scotty in the Carmel Vagabond's
        House off and on in the 30's (upstair's guest bedroom)...then may
        have owned or rented their own home there at another time (possibly
        in the 40's).

        I'm not sure if the Pele set Don designed for Ruth St. Denis could
        have been in Carmel...Blanding must have designed the set before the
        summer of 1936, when Mildred Maloney did her interviews with "the
        gang" (because she mentions it in her thesis)...which was before Don
        and Scotty arrived in Carmel. The thesis wasn't published until May
        of 1937, however, so it still may be possible. Do you know when Ruth
        was in Carmel?

        I think the Pele show was from Don's earlier days when he did more of
        the commercial art and theatrical design work...but who knows.

        Keith
      • Jim Whiteley
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2000
          --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Keith Emmons"
          <keith2draw@e...> wrote:

          > I believe the Balls stayed with Don & Scotty in the Carmel
          Vagabond's
          > House off and on in the 30's (upstair's guest bedroom)...then may
          > have owned or rented their own home there at another time (possibly
          > in the 40's).

          Keith,
          In one of Don's "Hawaii Says Aloha" columns dated 4/7/56 (it's
          type written so I don't know when it was published) 4th in a series
          of 10 he mentions Armine Von Tempsky and Al Ball
          "living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the first half of
          her book 'Born In Pardise'"
          "Born In Paradise" was published in 1940.

          Also, something that might help with the time line:
          Letter to the Hendersons, Sept. 13, 1941, from Floridays Studio, Ft.
          Pierce:
          "Talk about being busy. That's IM. And what fun. FLORIDAYS DUE
          OUT on September 23rd, and I'm all adither to see it. It always
          looks so different in print.
          Then, too, I'm starting FLORIDAYS STUDIO in Fort Pierce, Grand
          Place. 70 feet long, windows on three sides, lots of display space.
          Blue floor. Panels and screens for pictures, tables for crafts
          works, etc,etc. Part of it is my personal workshop, the rest for
          public art gallery."

          "Yes,I'm doing lectures in January and March but as usual don't
          know the schedules. Until New Year I'll be around Florida launching
          Floridays."

          "Dorothy had to go north to see her Mother who is ill. I do not
          like New York at any time and am so busy with the studio that I
          stayed home. She'll be home before the first."

          By the way, do you know the meaning of Im-Mo-Ko-Lee?
          Jim
        • Keith Emmons
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2000
            Jim,

            Immo-Ko-Lee: Seminole Indian expression for "My Home Place".

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2000
              > In one of Don's "Hawaii Says Aloha" columns dated 4/7/56 (it's
              > type written so I don't know when it was published) 4th in a series
              > of 10 he mentions Armine Von Tempsky and Al Ball
              > "living in my house in Carmel while she was writing the first half
              of
              > her book 'Born In Pardise'"
              > "Born In Paradise" was published in 1940.

              Jim and Keith,

              The column in question was published on March 3, 1956, in the
              Hawaiian Life magazine section of the Saturday Star-Bulletin. I will
              try to transcribe a few of these columns in the next few days.

              I now have copies of the January-June 1956 columns, and have ordered
              microfilm for the following three months.