Ruth St. Denis_UCLA

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2000
      Aloha,

      Guess its time to repot in on our (Dean and I) venture to the UCLA-Young
      Research Center. We were there from 10-3pm and like my trip to San Diego,
      didn't learn much about DB.

      We did learn that Ruth St. Denis liked to write a lot, mainly about her
      inner thoughts or spiritual views. We went their because Mildred Maloney in
      her DB thesis, mentioned the "famous dancer Ruth St.Denis, who danced her
      "Pele Dance, to the Volcano Goddess" before Blanding's scenery". We were to
      find out where this was. We looked through her diaries and journals of
      1924-27. She was in Asia '25&26, and toured
      America '27&28.

      Ruth St.Denis was born in New Jersey 1/20/1880. She started dancing at
      age 14. in 1914 she joined up with Ted Shawn, formed the Denishawn
      dancers and school of dance. They toured Asia and America and were known
      for their large settings. Ruth in 1934 started the Society of Spiritual
      Arts, and in 1946 the Church of Divine Dance in LA. She died in LA 7/20/68.

      GOOD NEWS:

      While there, we meet a young lady,Susan, from New York. She is out here
      in Calif. working on her thesis on Ruth St. Denis...I believe R/T
      Ruth's costumes and background. She is going through all of the boxes and
      has already been through the U of Riverside Research boxes on Ruth St.
      Denis. She was a wealth of information.

      Susan said the Ruth did the Pele dance only a few times, and she has a
      list of these back in New York. She will email them to me. Also Keith,
      she will ask her internet groups for information about DB scenery and plays
      and will get back to us on that.

      DB LETTER TO THE LA TIMES:

      Addressed to J.C. (BOOK REVIEWER)
      Los Angeles Times
      Literary Page
      Dated: Feb 20, 1936

      It is a Peter Hancock photo of DB with a Large hat, with a note:
      Dear J.C...whoever you are

      For your grand review
      of the aged Virgin
      Who had no urgin',
      Mahalo and thanks from me to you,
      Thanks, J.C. Whoever you are.

      Signed DB...no bird

      Letter Head:

      Don Blanding
      Author of Memory Room
      Vagabond's House
      Songs of the Seven Senses
      Let us Dream
      Hula Moons
      Stowaways in Paradise

      Artist by Nature
      Actor by Instinct
      Poet by Accident
      Vagabond by Choice

      SILHOUETTES MAGAZINE

      There was only one issues there 1936 and I don't know what quarter it was.
      Sorry, Keith, I realize now we should have copied all the info for you.
      I'll try the Ontario Library soon or go back to UCLA and copy that one.

      They were written from Oct 1932 to Vol. 5, #2 (1938).

      Aloha oe,