[aloha-donblanding] No Subject

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 28 11:57 AM
      TJ,
      As a collector of Blanding items, you might want to check out this book
      on Alibris: The Wayward Bus, by John Steinbeck, which was once owned by
      Blanding. It has his bookplate on the inside cover. $150 is a bit steep
      for me though.
      Keith

      http://www.alibris.com/cgi-bin/texis/searcher/+_exlqAearzdwwwwwBmePKafv
      wwwwe3Dwwwwwwwf_m5/details.html
    • Bill McMurray
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28 1:18 PM
        Keith,
        How on earth to you discover these things? I am truly impressed. Like the
        books I mentioned earlier, this item is out of my reach, but it's fun just
        to be aware of it'
        Bill

        ----------
        > From: Keith Emmons <keith2draw@...>
        > To: aloha-donblanding@...
        > Subject: [aloha-donblanding] No Subject
        > Date: Friday, January 28, 2000 2:57 PM
        >
        > TJ,
        > As a collector of Blanding items, you might want to check out this book
        > on Alibris: The Wayward Bus, by John Steinbeck, which was once owned by
        > Blanding. It has his bookplate on the inside cover. $150 is a bit steep
        > for me though.
        > Keith
        >
        > http://www.alibris.com/cgi-bin/texis/searcher/+_exlqAearzdwwwwwBmePKafv
        > wwwwe3Dwwwwwwwf_m5/details.html

        > credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=aloha-donblanding&m=1

      • Beverly Leinbach
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 29, 2000
          Aloha,

          I was reading through Floridays this afternoon and read "To Dorothy
          'They People Shall Be My People". As the saying goes.....If this man didn't
          love this women, "I'll eat my hat."

          Any comments?
        • Gerald Argetsinger
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000

            Beverly Leinbach wrote:

            Aloha,

              I was reading through Floridays this afternoon and read "To Dorothy
            'They People Shall Be My People".  As the saying goes.....If this man didn't
            love this women, "I'll eat my hat."

              Any comments?
                    Bev.

            Hi Bev --

            If nothing else -- Don was ALWAYS a gentleman.  He did not air his dirty laundry in public.  But the earlier reports from one of the other members of the group about what the Putnam family had to say after the divorce, together with the stories that are in my family, work together to indicate that when DB left Florida there was no love lost between Dorothy and DB.

            According to my mother, DB was miserable most of the time he was in Florida.  Dorothy wanted him "on her arm" at all of her societal and entertaining events, but she was very jealous of his work and always fought against his ever taking time to write or to promote himself.

            But it is obvious that DB earned his living by being an affable celebrity.  He KNEW how to play the game and he was expert at it.  Look how many of his available books are autographed -- look at how many people with which he maintained correspondance!  In today's vernacular, we would say that he could really "smooze,"  he was an expert at "working a room," he was a brilliant at "networking," and  he was always the ideal host.

            On the other hand, I'm sure that he and Dorothy were very close friends for many years and that there was shared love at the begining of their marriage.  But even an arranged marriage is difficult to maintain when neither partner is getting what they need, either personally or professionally, from the relationship.

            Just my thoughts -- I could be way off,
            Jerry

            Send money instantly to anyone with an email address!
            It's as easy as sending email and it's FREE -- only at X.com.
            Open an account today; It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
            http://click.egroups.com/1/1644/2/_/286501/_/951884611/

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
              Bev,
              I must admit I've been more than just a little pensive since reading
              Gerry's very candid account of his family's connection to DB. I guess that
              deep down inside me I still carry some of those prejudices that were so
              widely accepted when and where I was growing up.
              That being said, I have evolved enough to accept that any man's, (or
              woman's) lifestyle does not in anyway diminish his/her contribution to the
              world, no matter in what area they made their mark. One of my boyhood heros
              was Hank Williams Sr., whose lifestyle brought him to a very early grave.

              But to stick to DB, and your comment about his love for Dorthy, I agree
              with you. I'm sure his love for her was genuine. But that does not preclude
              the possibility that his love for Scotty was also.

              You asked for comments.....those are mine.

              Bill

              ----------
            • Beverly Leinbach
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
                Thanks Bill,

                DB's words to Dorothy were at the beginning of the book and probable are
                his feelings at the beginning of the life together. We have heard from 2
                sides that this all changed with time......as do many things. You are
                right, whatever else went on in DB's life, his words and art continue to
                touch us all.
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
                  from tj, does this conversation take us back to DB's poem, The Double Life.
                  Seems to be present in all of DB's social engagements. Whatever DB was, he
                  was, it doesn't detract from his art, his work, his existence, it was just
                  him as a person perhaps struggling with the ever present question we all
                  struggle with, "Who the hell am I"? Where do I belong? Do I or should I
                  have some roots, a place of safety for myself? I think that DB's personal
                  life is so difficult to unravel because of his personal secrets, things that
                  in his day were not socially acceptable, he struggled with. tj
                • Mary Repass-Friend
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2000
                    I agree with tj and I agree with Bev too.

                    I wanted DB and his talents to be some genius, a supernatural sensitivy
                    that surpassed ordinary man. And darn it, the more we learn about him
                    the more human he becomes! I see a man emerging that was vulnerable,
                    subject to hurt, pain, and human weakness.

                    All you have to do is read one, any one, of his poems and see a man
                    that had an incredible ability to love. He loved friends, family,
                    mother, trees, flowers, earth, water, rain, wind, even dust and smoke,
                    etc, etc, etc. He could become one with any part of life on earth..
                    And make you see the beauty of it too!

                    There is no doubt he shared and felt deep love for Dorthy and probably
                    other women too. (Some of the richest kind of love isn't physical.) So
                    big deal if he loved (a man) men? Love is love, and from what I've
                    seen, there ain't enough in this world!

                    When it all washes out his talents are still genius, the supernatural
                    occurrence that surpass the ordinary man.

                    Thanks Jerry for your enlightenment, it may have shocked a few of us,
                    but oh well, BIG DEAL?

                    Mary in Florida "ys"
                  • Beverly Leinbach
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2000
                      Bob Putnam,

                      Just finished Whistled Like A Bird....how are you related to Dorothy? I
                      don't remember reading your name in it.

                      What year was DB mayor of FT. Pierce and for how long?

                      Do you know what has happened to the Putnam house ...Rocknoll..in
                      Rye,N.Y.? Do the Putnam's still own it and is the guest room on the first
                      floor still painted the way DB did it many years ago?

                      How are you related to Sally Putnam Chapman, and have you been to
                      Immokolee, Ft. Pierce, where she now lives. If so, are DB's paintings still
                      there that he did on the paneled doors in 1930. Or are those doors under
                      the garage in the storage place where Sally found Dorothy's old kitchen
                      table.

                      Are all of DB's Ft. Pierce friends gone now or do people still remember
                      him there.....other than the Putnam's?