Red Leather Vagabond's House

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2000
      Hello All,
      Has anyone heard of an edition of Vagabond's House that's cover is
      red leather and has a matching slipcase? It's the 20th edition from
      1936...and I purchased one today off of the internet...should get
      next week. Up until now, I only knew about the gray-blue leather
      edition from 1940 (25th). Would be interested to know if any of you
      have the red leather edition.

      Also, I finally got my 'West of Sunset', a Vagabond's House 45 set,
      and a 1st edition of Vagabond's House'...it's an early Christmas!!!
      Keith
    • keith2draw@home.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2001
        I recently found another red leather edition of Vagabond's House, and
        I'm selling it on ebay (#1116841023).

        As I'm sure most of you are aware, this is a very rare item, as most
        copies are clothbound, and occasionally a blue leather edition pops
        up. This copy from 1932 is different from the one I own, which was
        published in 1937...the gold embossed design on the cover is
        different too.

        I'm starting the bid off at a reasonable $60, and the auction ends on
        Sunday, March 4th.

        I'm also selling Singing Shadows, an anthology of verse from the
        Hollywood Evening School (1950). Blanding designed the cover, and
        provided five inside illustrations. Apparently he donated the
        drawings, and this copy is signed by one of the poets included in the
        book. Also ends on Sunday, March 4th.

        ~Keith
      • keith2draw@home.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2001
          If anyone is looking to add the very rare red leather edition
          of 'Vagabond's House' to their collection, there is a copy being sold
          out in Ventura, California.

          The condition of the leather sounds questionable, but perhaps it can
          be repaired. For twenty bucks it might be worth it for someone, and
          you could upgrade at a later date.

          Blanding, Don Vagabond's House
          NY Dodd Mead 1933. Good. As is, red leather cover is tattered on
          edges, torn on back. The author has signed a brief inscription on the
          endleaves. Some browning of pages. Book # 0087386 - Price: US$ 20.00

          VENTURA PACIFIC LTD Out of Print Books, 777 North Olive Street,
          Ventura, CA, U.S.A., 93001-1661.
          Phone: 888-696-6111 (tollfree). Fax: 805-648-6335. Email:
          orders@...

          ~~ Keith
        • Nelson Black
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2001
            keith: Was the "rare red leather" for just this printing?

          • keith2draw@home.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2001
              Nelson,

              The red leather editions I've come across were published in 1932,
              1933 & 1937. They may have been available with each subsequent
              printing ...I'm not sure. But it appears that most folks bought the
              cloth version (less expensive) - the leather ones appear very rarely
              in the book stores.

              The blue leatherbound edition from 1940 comes up a little more often
              than the red.

              ~~ Keith
            • keith2draw@home.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
                O.K. guys...here's another red leather edition of "Vagabond's House"
                that someone is selling on ebay for $20...go get it.

                Ebay # 1454639722