Re: Carmel

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2000
      Jim,
      I had just recently come across the name Helen Ware...so your message
      rang a bell in my head.

      I'm reading Ted Wassmer's self-published biography (it's more like a
      scrapbook), and he mentions that he was "introduced" to Don Blanding
      in a letter from Ted's first fan, Arnold Applequist. Wassmer wrote to
      Don in 1938, and was invited to Carmel. He took the bus to California
      from Utah, and only had the weekend to spend there, before he had to
      return to work on monday.

      Blanding put on a small exhibit of Ted's paintings in 'Vagabond's
      House' for a close circle of friends. Don traded one of his undersea
      fish paintings for the "Birth of a Storm"...and also bought another
      painting "Hushed Moment". Armine von Tempski and husband
      bought "Timpanogos Peak, Evening Light" to bring back with them to
      Hawaii. Armine's sister Lorna von Tempski bought "Golden October"...
      and the famous film star Helen Ware bought "Red Willows in Spring".
      The 61-year-old actress was so pleased with Ted that she presented
      him with a membership in the Carmel Art Association. Frank M. Moore
      was also present, and he offered Ted much encouragement and advice.

      Don took Ted to Point Lobos in the morning to paint, and later in the
      day, Helen drove him up to San Francisco and showed him around a
      little...from there he took the bus back home.

      Ted tells me he only saw Don two more times. In 1941 when he stayed
      with the Blandings in Ft. Pierce...and in 1943 when he stayed with
      Lucille Henderson for a night, during the war. There were ten of them
      (soldiers)..and they all slept on her floor. Don had a hotel room of
      his own.

      Ted wrote Dorothy in 1944 from a hospital, where he was recovering
      from an injury. She wrote back saying that Don had been discharged
      from the Army, and that they had decided to seperate...she also
      enclosed a hundred dollars to help Ted get back on his feet...he
      remained friends with Dorothy for years, and stayed at Immokolee with
      his wife often.

      By-the-way...I looked up Helen Ware on the Internet Movie Database.
      She was born in 1877...appeared in 41 films from 1913-1939...and at
      the time of her death was married to actor Frederick Burt. She died
      of a throat infection on January 25, 1939 in Carmel.

      KEITH
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2002
        The Carmel Pine Cone Newspaper will publish an article on my taking
        possession of Da Box in October with all of the DB material in it. Margo is
        doing the piece and she has beeen so supportive of our efforts in Carmel.
        She took pictures and is writing the story now. The story is suppose to be
        in next Fridays edition. Hopefully it makes it in. I hope this will unlock
        somemore secrets in Carmel for me and us. I would hope that people will read
        it and start emailing and calling me about what they have and know. That's
        the real purpose of the article for me.......tj
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
          The Carmel Pine Cone Newspaper will publish an article on my taking
          possession of Da Box in October with all of the DB material in it.

          Thanks for keeping the torch burning´┐Ż´┐ŻLOOKING FOR DON BLANDING in Carmel. I
          agree with you, there is still a lot to been learned there. Let me know if I
          can help.