Carmel

  • Jim Whiteley
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2000
      While trying to find Carmel related items I've come across, I did
      find these two.

      In a letter to Lucille Henderson, August 10, 1944 (the return address
      is Drawer U, Carmel, Calif.) Don mentions Vagabond's House:

      Helen Spencer is carrying on the business, but Bob has been in
      the Army, mostly at Camp Hulen down near the Gulf (and is it hot and
      muggy THERE), and very homesick. I live around the corner from what
      was Vagabond's House. Helen has made it over to suit them..which is
      right and proper, but it is not remotely my Vagabond's House any
      longer..but I never did do any regretting. It served its purpose,
      and I often go in and out of the house quite forgetting that it was
      ever mine. We never really own anything anyhow, and the sooner we
      learn that the better off we'll be, especially in human relations.
      There's a horrible murder case pending here right now , due to
      possessiveness of a human life.

      In a letter to a woman in Knoxville (possibly Mabel Franz) in '42-'43
      he states that when the actress, Helen Ware died in Carmel
      it "disintegrated a fine group of us."
      I had not come across her name before...
      Jim
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2000
        Jim,
        I had just recently come across the name Helen Ware...so your message
        rang a bell in my head.

        I'm reading Ted Wassmer's self-published biography (it's more like a
        scrapbook), and he mentions that he was "introduced" to Don Blanding
        in a letter from Ted's first fan, Arnold Applequist. Wassmer wrote to
        Don in 1938, and was invited to Carmel. He took the bus to California
        from Utah, and only had the weekend to spend there, before he had to
        return to work on monday.

        Blanding put on a small exhibit of Ted's paintings in 'Vagabond's
        House' for a close circle of friends. Don traded one of his undersea
        fish paintings for the "Birth of a Storm"...and also bought another
        painting "Hushed Moment". Armine von Tempski and husband
        bought "Timpanogos Peak, Evening Light" to bring back with them to
        Hawaii. Armine's sister Lorna von Tempski bought "Golden October"...
        and the famous film star Helen Ware bought "Red Willows in Spring".
        The 61-year-old actress was so pleased with Ted that she presented
        him with a membership in the Carmel Art Association. Frank M. Moore
        was also present, and he offered Ted much encouragement and advice.

        Don took Ted to Point Lobos in the morning to paint, and later in the
        day, Helen drove him up to San Francisco and showed him around a
        little...from there he took the bus back home.

        Ted tells me he only saw Don two more times. In 1941 when he stayed
        with the Blandings in Ft. Pierce...and in 1943 when he stayed with
        Lucille Henderson for a night, during the war. There were ten of them
        (soldiers)..and they all slept on her floor. Don had a hotel room of
        his own.

        Ted wrote Dorothy in 1944 from a hospital, where he was recovering
        from an injury. She wrote back saying that Don had been discharged
        from the Army, and that they had decided to seperate...she also
        enclosed a hundred dollars to help Ted get back on his feet...he
        remained friends with Dorothy for years, and stayed at Immokolee with
        his wife often.

        By-the-way...I looked up Helen Ware on the Internet Movie Database.
        She was born in 1877...appeared in 41 films from 1913-1939...and at
        the time of her death was married to actor Frederick Burt. She died
        of a throat infection on January 25, 1939 in Carmel.

        KEITH
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2002
          The Carmel Pine Cone Newspaper will publish an article on my taking
          possession of Da Box in October with all of the DB material in it. Margo is
          doing the piece and she has beeen so supportive of our efforts in Carmel.
          She took pictures and is writing the story now. The story is suppose to be
          in next Fridays edition. Hopefully it makes it in. I hope this will unlock
          somemore secrets in Carmel for me and us. I would hope that people will read
          it and start emailing and calling me about what they have and know. That's
          the real purpose of the article for me.......tj
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
            The Carmel Pine Cone Newspaper will publish an article on my taking
            possession of Da Box in October with all of the DB material in it.

            Thanks for keeping the torch burning´┐Ż´┐ŻLOOKING FOR DON BLANDING in Carmel. I
            agree with you, there is still a lot to been learned there. Let me know if I
            can help.