[aloha-donblanding] Stowaways In Paradise

  • Bill McMurray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
      Just an afterthought. If anyone's interested;
      bookfinder.com There are three copies of Stowaways available there at
      $50, 110, and 200.00 respectively. That's out of my reach.
      Bill

      ----------
      > From: TJMarkle@...
      > To: aloha-donblanding@egroups.com
      > Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Oodles of Blanding
      > Date: Friday, January 28, 2000 10:26 AM
      >
      > Prediction: Paradise Loot - Final sale price = $136.50

      > Apply NOW!

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=aloha-donblanding&m=1

    • David W. Nicholas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
        "bill mcmurray" <billmc-@...> wrote:
        > Just an afterthought. If anyone's interested; bookfinder.com
        > There are three copies of Stowaways available there at
        > $50, 110, and 200.00 respectively. That's out of my reach.
        > Bill

        Bill:

        Thanks for the alert. It is Stowaways in Paradise that sparked my
        (latent) interest in Don Blanding, having read it the better part of
        sixty years ago. I would love to see it again, but I'm not sure my
        enthusiasm would stretch as far as the prices you suggest. Guess this
        separates the men and the boys, huh?

        Dave
      • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
          Dave Nicholas writes:

          >>It is Stowaways in Paradise that sparked my (latent) interest in Don
          Blanding, having read it the better part of sixty years ago.<<

          Dave, that book's the focus of my interest, too, ever since my mother read it
          to me and my sister in 1944 when I was about five years old, after we were
          Army dependents who by chance were ordered out (to Massachusetts!) in the
          summer of 1941. That book kept my memories of Hawai'i alive as I read it many
          times over the next few years.

          When I reread the book with my youngest daughter (now a freshman at Harvard)
          before taking her to Kailua-Kona for the eclipse in 1991, I was appalled by
          the racism reflected in it. Such attitudes were of course a commonplace then,
          but I fear that they make the book impossible to reprint today.

          I think somebody should write a sequel following Micky and Pua into their
          adult lives, through the second World War and the massive changes that
          gripped Hawai'i then and afterwards. That would be a creative way to correct
          the book's attitude, and have fun doing it.

          Bob Richmond
          Knoxville TN
          still wanting to stow away to paradise
          just pass me the axle grease, Pua, and I'm all set
        • David W. Nicholas
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2000
            rsrichmon-@... wrote:

            > Dave, that book's (Stowaways in Paradise)the focus of my interest,
            too, ever since my mother read it to me and my sister in 1944 . . . . <
            _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

            Bob,

            The coincidence is remarkable, if not actually beyond probability.

            I think it must have been the same year (1944) that I read the book. I
            don't recall how it happened to be in the house; if my mother had other
            Don Blanding writings, I was not aware of them. I just happened to
            pick it up one day, and was immediately entranced. I would have been
            nine years old, perhaps younger than the intended audience, but somehow
            the writing struck a chord in me, and I have remembered the experience
            (though with imperfect recall), lo these many years.

            I know how a place and time can capture one, and it's obvious Hawaii
            had that effect on you. It's sad to think you were forced to leave,
            apparently never to return until what must have been a wonderful, if
            all too brief, experience in 1991. Neither Paula nor I has ever been
            to the islands, but we are mindful of the "pull" they can effect on
            those who love them.

            It's interesting you should mention the casual (as opposed to
            deliberate and purposely hurtful) racism reflected in the book. I,
            having not read it for nearly sixty years, and then having filtered it
            through the glasses that a youngster would have worn at the time, have
            no recollection of anything that made me uncomfortable. Clearly, I
            might have a different reaction today.

            I doubt I will be the one to write the sequel you crave. It would take
            someone, I think, who had "been there and done that." I'm not the one,
            and the great American novel in me has not introduced itself in a way
            that allows me to grasp its imperative import.

            You refer to your mother, sister and yourself as "army dependents". We
            in the Navy, the senior service, always preferred the term "Army
            Brats"; we called ourselves "Navy Juniors". And so it goes.

            You're only across the mountains, which happen to be impassable
            tonight. Swing by and say "hello" one day. Paula and I keep an open
            door, and a warm hearth.

            Dave Nicholas
            Fairview (Asheville), NC