Re: New Clues

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
      Beverly,

      I know what you mean...I have an entire filing cabinet drawer filed
      with Blanding files...and another 1/2 foot of bound copy materials
      that I've collected recently. It's only going to increase! I just try
      to keep it organized so that I can access everything when a question
      pops up.

      Keith
    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
        Thats funny didn't know he was connected to Rockford College know place well
        as I attended Beloit 20 miles away.
        He was everywhere.

        maui tom
      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
          Here's the info on Don's Rockford connection:

          In 1919 he lived at 309 W. State Street...the legal firm of Reynolds
          & Reckow were also housed at 307-309...so he may have been in an
          upstairs apartment.

          He was listed as a lecturer in fine and applied art for Rockford
          College that year as well. That doesn't necessarily mean he was on
          staff...he might have just been a guest lecturer.

          On another note:
          I just contacted Ruby Altizer Roberts on the phone. She is 93, and
          was a former poet laureate of Virginia. According to my records, her
          book 'Command The Stars' published in 1948, had six reprinted
          illustrations by Blanding. When I got her on the phone, however, she
          said "she didn't know any Blanding"...and sounded rather irritated. I
          asked her if she was the author of 'Command the Stars' (thinking I
          had maybe gotten the wrong person)...and she said she was. She
          claimed the book only had photos. I apologized, and she hung up on me.

          In looking over my notes, I see she also wrote a book called 'Look
          Down at the Stars' in 1994...could she have gotten the similar titles
          confused? She is 93 after all.

          My question to all of you is whether anyone has a copy of 'Command
          the Stars'...and if so, are there indeed illustrations by Blanding?
          It was printed by Wings Press in Mill Valley, Calif. in 1948.
          If I can get a copy of it, I'll send it to her and ask her again if
          she remembers anything about Don. I guess it may not do much good, as
          she sounds a bit out of it...(not like good old Ted Wassmer!)

          Keith
        • Beverly Leinbach
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
            Well........,

            I had a nice visit on the phone with Don Blanding old-neighbor from
            Carmel. His Mom was actually friendly with Don and Bill only spoke to him
            once or twice before going of to the Army in 1941. The house I originally
            took pictures of in Carmel is his and he lived there from 1937-41. He said
            Don was a "good Neighbor, friendly and had a lot friend". His son Wally
            lives in the house now.
            Asked if Don had given them any of his art work. He said he (DB) gave a
            lot of it away in Carmel and he would look and ask Wally to look in the old
            Carmel house. His house was built by 2 concert pianists and they had 2
            grand pianos in the living room...why it is so large.
            So, I'll keep in contact with him...who know what he might remember or
            find around the house. I'll also check with the folks across the street
            from DB/Al's house, they also knew DB.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
              Keith,

              Two listings for "Command the Stars" on Bookfinder.com:

              1 Any Amount of Books
              via Bibliofind

              The Wing Press, California 1948. First edition. Signed presentation
              copy. Hardback. Very good indeed; In slightly worn good/very good
              dust jacket. 85pp. 6 illustrations by Don Blanding. Poetry. $39.26

              2 Alibris

              The Wing Press, California 1948, 1st Edition. First edition. Signed
              presentation copy. Hardback. Very good indeed; In slightly worn
              good/very good dust jacket. 85pp. 6 illustrations by Don Blanding.
              Poetry.. $70.00

              ~~Cadia

              --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Keith Emmons"
              <keith2draw@e...> wrote:
              > Here's the info on Don's Rockford connection:
              >
              > In 1919 he lived at 309 W. State Street...the legal firm of
              Reynolds
              > & Reckow were also housed at 307-309...so he may have been in an
              > upstairs apartment.
              >
              > He was listed as a lecturer in fine and applied art for Rockford
              > College that year as well. That doesn't necessarily mean he was on
              > staff...he might have just been a guest lecturer.
              >
              > On another note:
              > I just contacted Ruby Altizer Roberts on the phone. She is 93, and
              > was a former poet laureate of Virginia. According to my records,
              her
              > book 'Command The Stars' published in 1948, had six reprinted
              > illustrations by Blanding. When I got her on the phone, however,
              she
              > said "she didn't know any Blanding"...and sounded rather irritated.
              > asked her if she was the author of 'Command the Stars' (thinking I
              > had maybe gotten the wrong person)...and she said she was. She
              > claimed the book only had photos. I apologized, and she hung up on
              me.

              > In looking over my notes, I see she also wrote a book called 'Look
              > Down at the Stars' in 1994...could she have gotten the similar
              titles
              > confused? She is 93 after all.
              >
              > My question to all of you is whether anyone has a copy of 'Command
              > the Stars'...and if so, are there indeed illustrations by Blanding?
              > It was printed by Wings Press in Mill Valley, Calif. in 1948.
              > If I can get a copy of it, I'll send it to her and ask her again if
              > she remembers anything about Don. I guess it may not do much good,
              as
              > she sounds a bit out of it...(not like good old Ted Wassmer!)
              >
              > Keith
            • Keith Emmons
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
                Thanks Cadia.

                Hello all,
                I just scored a 1st edition "Stowaways in Paradise" (Cosmopolitan)
                in super condition...so I'm selling my other copy on ebay. The one
                I'm selling is the first Dodd, Mead & Company version (1938)...and it
                has a nice multi-colored cover.

                Here is the link:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400552425

                Take care everyone...it's almost the weekend!
                KEITH :o)
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2000
                  Good stuff Bev....keep digging....tj off line until late monday nite...