Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: New Clues

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
      Keith,

      I am now sitting here for 2 days trying to organize all the clues we have
      gathered and I have filled 6-- 1 1/2" loose leaf holders. At this rate I'll
      have my own library going soon.

      Thanks for all your work. Need to get my thought together and focused on
      the DB/Carmel era.

    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
        Beverly,

        I know what you mean...I have an entire filing cabinet drawer filed
        with Blanding files...and another 1/2 foot of bound copy materials
        that I've collected recently. It's only going to increase! I just try
        to keep it organized so that I can access everything when a question
        pops up.

        Keith
      • MauiBandB@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
          Thats funny didn't know he was connected to Rockford College know place well
          as I attended Beloit 20 miles away.
          He was everywhere.

          maui tom
        • Keith Emmons
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
            Here's the info on Don's Rockford connection:

            In 1919 he lived at 309 W. State Street...the legal firm of Reynolds
            & Reckow were also housed at 307-309...so he may have been in an
            upstairs apartment.

            He was listed as a lecturer in fine and applied art for Rockford
            College that year as well. That doesn't necessarily mean he was on
            staff...he might have just been a guest lecturer.

            On another note:
            I just contacted Ruby Altizer Roberts on the phone. She is 93, and
            was a former poet laureate of Virginia. According to my records, her
            book 'Command The Stars' published in 1948, had six reprinted
            illustrations by Blanding. When I got her on the phone, however, she
            said "she didn't know any Blanding"...and sounded rather irritated. I
            asked her if she was the author of 'Command the Stars' (thinking I
            had maybe gotten the wrong person)...and she said she was. She
            claimed the book only had photos. I apologized, and she hung up on me.

            In looking over my notes, I see she also wrote a book called 'Look
            Down at the Stars' in 1994...could she have gotten the similar titles
            confused? She is 93 after all.

            My question to all of you is whether anyone has a copy of 'Command
            the Stars'...and if so, are there indeed illustrations by Blanding?
            It was printed by Wings Press in Mill Valley, Calif. in 1948.
            If I can get a copy of it, I'll send it to her and ask her again if
            she remembers anything about Don. I guess it may not do much good, as
            she sounds a bit out of it...(not like good old Ted Wassmer!)

            Keith
          • Beverly Leinbach
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
              Well........,

              I had a nice visit on the phone with Don Blanding old-neighbor from
              Carmel. His Mom was actually friendly with Don and Bill only spoke to him
              once or twice before going of to the Army in 1941. The house I originally
              took pictures of in Carmel is his and he lived there from 1937-41. He said
              Don was a "good Neighbor, friendly and had a lot friend". His son Wally
              lives in the house now.
              Asked if Don had given them any of his art work. He said he (DB) gave a
              lot of it away in Carmel and he would look and ask Wally to look in the old
              Carmel house. His house was built by 2 concert pianists and they had 2
              grand pianos in the living room...why it is so large.
              So, I'll keep in contact with him...who know what he might remember or
              find around the house. I'll also check with the folks across the street
              from DB/Al's house, they also knew DB.

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
                Keith,

                Two listings for "Command the Stars" on Bookfinder.com:

                1 Any Amount of Books
                via Bibliofind

                The Wing Press, California 1948. First edition. Signed presentation
                copy. Hardback. Very good indeed; In slightly worn good/very good
                dust jacket. 85pp. 6 illustrations by Don Blanding. Poetry. $39.26

                2 Alibris

                The Wing Press, California 1948, 1st Edition. First edition. Signed
                presentation copy. Hardback. Very good indeed; In slightly worn
                good/very good dust jacket. 85pp. 6 illustrations by Don Blanding.
                Poetry.. $70.00

                ~~Cadia

                --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Keith Emmons"
                <keith2draw@e...> wrote:
                > Here's the info on Don's Rockford connection:
                >
                > In 1919 he lived at 309 W. State Street...the legal firm of
                Reynolds
                > & Reckow were also housed at 307-309...so he may have been in an
                > upstairs apartment.
                >
                > He was listed as a lecturer in fine and applied art for Rockford
                > College that year as well. That doesn't necessarily mean he was on
                > staff...he might have just been a guest lecturer.
                >
                > On another note:
                > I just contacted Ruby Altizer Roberts on the phone. She is 93, and
                > was a former poet laureate of Virginia. According to my records,
                her
                > book 'Command The Stars' published in 1948, had six reprinted
                > illustrations by Blanding. When I got her on the phone, however,
                she
                > said "she didn't know any Blanding"...and sounded rather irritated.
                > asked her if she was the author of 'Command the Stars' (thinking I
                > had maybe gotten the wrong person)...and she said she was. She
                > claimed the book only had photos. I apologized, and she hung up on
                me.

                > In looking over my notes, I see she also wrote a book called 'Look
                > Down at the Stars' in 1994...could she have gotten the similar
                titles
                > confused? She is 93 after all.
                >
                > My question to all of you is whether anyone has a copy of 'Command
                > the Stars'...and if so, are there indeed illustrations by Blanding?
                > It was printed by Wings Press in Mill Valley, Calif. in 1948.
                > If I can get a copy of it, I'll send it to her and ask her again if
                > she remembers anything about Don. I guess it may not do much good,
                as
                > she sounds a bit out of it...(not like good old Ted Wassmer!)
                >
                > Keith
              • Keith Emmons
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
                  Thanks Cadia.

                  Hello all,
                  I just scored a 1st edition "Stowaways in Paradise" (Cosmopolitan)
                  in super condition...so I'm selling my other copy on ebay. The one
                  I'm selling is the first Dodd, Mead & Company version (1938)...and it
                  has a nice multi-colored cover.

                  Here is the link:
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400552425

                  Take care everyone...it's almost the weekend!
                  KEITH :o)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2000
                    Good stuff Bev....keep digging....tj off line until late monday nite...