Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: New Clues

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
      Jim,

      No dates on his Europe trip yet...still looking.

      Thanks for clearing up my other question.

    • Beverly Leinbach
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
        Keith,

        I am now sitting here for 2 days trying to organize all the clues we have
        gathered and I have filled 6-- 1 1/2" loose leaf holders. At this rate I'll
        have my own library going soon.

        Thanks for all your work. Need to get my thought together and focused on
        the DB/Carmel era.

      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
          Beverly,

          I know what you mean...I have an entire filing cabinet drawer filed
          with Blanding files...and another 1/2 foot of bound copy materials
          that I've collected recently. It's only going to increase! I just try
          to keep it organized so that I can access everything when a question
          pops up.

          Keith
        • MauiBandB@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
            Keith
            Thats funny didn't know he was connected to Rockford College know place well
            as I attended Beloit 20 miles away.
            He was everywhere.

            maui tom
          • Keith Emmons
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
              Here's the info on Don's Rockford connection:

              In 1919 he lived at 309 W. State Street...the legal firm of Reynolds
              & Reckow were also housed at 307-309...so he may have been in an
              upstairs apartment.

              He was listed as a lecturer in fine and applied art for Rockford
              College that year as well. That doesn't necessarily mean he was on
              staff...he might have just been a guest lecturer.

              On another note:
              I just contacted Ruby Altizer Roberts on the phone. She is 93, and
              was a former poet laureate of Virginia. According to my records, her
              book 'Command The Stars' published in 1948, had six reprinted
              illustrations by Blanding. When I got her on the phone, however, she
              said "she didn't know any Blanding"...and sounded rather irritated. I
              asked her if she was the author of 'Command the Stars' (thinking I
              had maybe gotten the wrong person)...and she said she was. She
              claimed the book only had photos. I apologized, and she hung up on me.

              In looking over my notes, I see she also wrote a book called 'Look
              Down at the Stars' in 1994...could she have gotten the similar titles
              confused? She is 93 after all.

              My question to all of you is whether anyone has a copy of 'Command
              the Stars'...and if so, are there indeed illustrations by Blanding?
              It was printed by Wings Press in Mill Valley, Calif. in 1948.
              If I can get a copy of it, I'll send it to her and ask her again if
              she remembers anything about Don. I guess it may not do much good, as
              she sounds a bit out of it...(not like good old Ted Wassmer!)

              Keith
            • Beverly Leinbach
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
                Well........,

                I had a nice visit on the phone with Don Blanding old-neighbor from
                Carmel. His Mom was actually friendly with Don and Bill only spoke to him
                once or twice before going of to the Army in 1941. The house I originally
                took pictures of in Carmel is his and he lived there from 1937-41. He said
                Don was a "good Neighbor, friendly and had a lot friend". His son Wally
                lives in the house now.
                Asked if Don had given them any of his art work. He said he (DB) gave a
                lot of it away in Carmel and he would look and ask Wally to look in the old
                Carmel house. His house was built by 2 concert pianists and they had 2
                grand pianos in the living room...why it is so large.
                So, I'll keep in contact with him...who know what he might remember or
                find around the house. I'll also check with the folks across the street
                from DB/Al's house, they also knew DB.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
                  Keith,

                  Two listings for "Command the Stars" on Bookfinder.com:

                  1 Any Amount of Books
                  via Bibliofind

                  The Wing Press, California 1948. First edition. Signed presentation
                  copy. Hardback. Very good indeed; In slightly worn good/very good
                  dust jacket. 85pp. 6 illustrations by Don Blanding. Poetry. $39.26

                  2 Alibris

                  The Wing Press, California 1948, 1st Edition. First edition. Signed
                  presentation copy. Hardback. Very good indeed; In slightly worn
                  good/very good dust jacket. 85pp. 6 illustrations by Don Blanding.
                  Poetry.. $70.00

                  ~~Cadia

                  --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Keith Emmons"
                  <keith2draw@e...> wrote:
                  > Here's the info on Don's Rockford connection:
                  >
                  > In 1919 he lived at 309 W. State Street...the legal firm of
                  Reynolds
                  > & Reckow were also housed at 307-309...so he may have been in an
                  > upstairs apartment.
                  >
                  > He was listed as a lecturer in fine and applied art for Rockford
                  > College that year as well. That doesn't necessarily mean he was on
                  > staff...he might have just been a guest lecturer.
                  >
                  > On another note:
                  > I just contacted Ruby Altizer Roberts on the phone. She is 93, and
                  > was a former poet laureate of Virginia. According to my records,
                  her
                  > book 'Command The Stars' published in 1948, had six reprinted
                  > illustrations by Blanding. When I got her on the phone, however,
                  she
                  > said "she didn't know any Blanding"...and sounded rather irritated.
                  > asked her if she was the author of 'Command the Stars' (thinking I
                  > had maybe gotten the wrong person)...and she said she was. She
                  > claimed the book only had photos. I apologized, and she hung up on
                  me.

                  > In looking over my notes, I see she also wrote a book called 'Look
                  > Down at the Stars' in 1994...could she have gotten the similar
                  titles
                  > confused? She is 93 after all.
                  >
                  > My question to all of you is whether anyone has a copy of 'Command
                  > the Stars'...and if so, are there indeed illustrations by Blanding?
                  > It was printed by Wings Press in Mill Valley, Calif. in 1948.
                  > If I can get a copy of it, I'll send it to her and ask her again if
                  > she remembers anything about Don. I guess it may not do much good,
                  as
                  > she sounds a bit out of it...(not like good old Ted Wassmer!)
                  >
                  > Keith
                • Keith Emmons
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2000
                    Thanks Cadia.

                    Hello all,
                    I just scored a 1st edition "Stowaways in Paradise" (Cosmopolitan)
                    in super condition...so I'm selling my other copy on ebay. The one
                    I'm selling is the first Dodd, Mead & Company version (1938)...and it
                    has a nice multi-colored cover.

                    Here is the link:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400552425

                    Take care everyone...it's almost the weekend!
                    KEITH :o)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4, 2000
                      Good stuff Bev....keep digging....tj off line until late monday nite...