Re: New Clues

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
      Bev, I can answer some of your questions.

      I have been in contact with the current head of the Rockford Art
      Guild. She has looked up some info for me (she didn't even know who
      he was) and came up with some interesting stuff. She obtained Don's
      address from the 1919 phone book...it was above a lawyer's office. He
      also taught a course at the Rockford College in "illustrative
      techniques" I believe (I'm at work, so I don't have the facts in
      front of me.) She has not found any reference to his being the head
      of the art league yet. I sent her a copy of 'Vagabond's House' for
      her troubles....She loved it! (another fan)

      Mamo Clark died in 1983 I believe...again my facts are at home.

      In a book on Ruth St. Denis that I leafed through at the library, it
      said that 'The Dance of Pele' was performed in Japan in 1925, when
      she toured there. The author was surmising where Ruth got the idea
      from...I think she performed the play just before or just after
      Japan, and Blanding designed the set. We may find out the answer in
      Ruth's diaries or journals.

      KEITH
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
        Jim,
        Maybe he left for Europe at the end of 1919...that would be a year.
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 23, 2002
          Someone out of the blue sent me some scans of some typed Blanding
          postcards which reveal some interesting new clues.

          In one card, he mentions that he has a friend in Ann Arbor, Michigan
          named Donald Curtis May. He also gives the address. I had been
          looking for Don May in vain for awhile (too common of a name.) With
          these few clues I was able to finally locate him in the Social
          Security Death Index: Donald May, b. June 24, 1889, d. July 1971 in
          Ann Arbor.

          Blanding of course wrote a poem entitled TO DON MAY in Vagabond's
          House which described their mountain climbing adventures in 1913
          Bend, Oregon. I will now try to locate Don May's family.

          In another card (1946) he mentions a friend named Sam Maddux, who's
          mother was one of his childhood teachers in Lawton, Oklahoma. He also
          states in this card that he recorded a year's worth of fifteen-minute
          spots for his Castle Card radio program...quite interesting. He says
          that he has come to loathe his lecture tours, and is hoping to give
          them up.

          He mentions living at the Roosevelt Hotel, and eating most of his
          dinners at the Cinegrill, the hotel's restaurant (which still exists)
          - He liked to eat marinated herring.

          ~~Keith
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 22, 2003
            In 1933 Blanding wrote the poem "Let Us Dream," which was also the
            title of the book
            the poem appears in. The poem was dedicated to Laura Levering, who I
            believe was
            also mentioned in the Maloney thesis as the person who introduced
            Blanding to the
            NYC art scene in 1928.

            I got an email a few years ago from someone who owned a letter
            written by Blanding
            to Laura Levering, but unfortunately, I lost contact with this person
            before I could
            obtain a copy of the letter. Too bad, as it might have shed some
            light on Don's NYC
            years, a fuzzy period in my research.

            Today I came across an obituary for Laura in the New York Times...she
            died on Dec.
            23, 1964 in Greewich, Conn. Through that I tracked down her son
            Walter, who is still
            alive and Living in NYC at the age of 98. He didn't know or remember
            Blandinng, but
            will ask around the family to see if any of them did.

            Walter is the oldest living member of the 1933 Yale football team, a
            former Wall
            Street Stock Broker, and an arctic explorer...a very interesting man.