Re: New Clues

  • Jim Whiteley
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
      Bev,

      From "Hawaii Says Aloha" 4/7/56 4th in a series of ten
      (I believe this was for the Star-Bulletin. Since this is from a type
      written copy, the date may be when he wrote it, not when it was
      published):

      "Reg Correthers, whom many Kamaaians will remember as a producer of
      beautiful pageants and shows back around 1912-1916, and myself stayed
      on in Rockford, Ill after being discharged as Second Lieutenants from
      Camp Grant after the First World War. He taught in a school, and I
      took the job of Director of the Art Guild there."

      His discharge is dated 12/3/18. The New York Time (6/10/57) states
      that he went to Europe to study art in 1919. That may not have left
      him a year in Rockford.
      Do we have the dates he was in Europe?

      Jim

      > > Some things that Mildred taught us from her thesis:
      > >
      > > 1. Blanding spent a year as Head of the Rockford, Illinois Art
      > Guild
      > > after his discharge from Camp Grant. There might be
      > > records/photos/letters from this period.
      > >
      > Did we find anything about DB's Head of Rockford, Ill. Art
      > Guild...Dates,etc.?

    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
        Bev, I can answer some of your questions.

        I have been in contact with the current head of the Rockford Art
        Guild. She has looked up some info for me (she didn't even know who
        he was) and came up with some interesting stuff. She obtained Don's
        address from the 1919 phone book...it was above a lawyer's office. He
        also taught a course at the Rockford College in "illustrative
        techniques" I believe (I'm at work, so I don't have the facts in
        front of me.) She has not found any reference to his being the head
        of the art league yet. I sent her a copy of 'Vagabond's House' for
        her troubles....She loved it! (another fan)

        Mamo Clark died in 1983 I believe...again my facts are at home.

        In a book on Ruth St. Denis that I leafed through at the library, it
        said that 'The Dance of Pele' was performed in Japan in 1925, when
        she toured there. The author was surmising where Ruth got the idea
        from...I think she performed the play just before or just after
        Japan, and Blanding designed the set. We may find out the answer in
        Ruth's diaries or journals.

        KEITH
      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
          Jim,
          Maybe he left for Europe at the end of 1919...that would be a year.
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 23, 2002
            Someone out of the blue sent me some scans of some typed Blanding
            postcards which reveal some interesting new clues.

            In one card, he mentions that he has a friend in Ann Arbor, Michigan
            named Donald Curtis May. He also gives the address. I had been
            looking for Don May in vain for awhile (too common of a name.) With
            these few clues I was able to finally locate him in the Social
            Security Death Index: Donald May, b. June 24, 1889, d. July 1971 in
            Ann Arbor.

            Blanding of course wrote a poem entitled TO DON MAY in Vagabond's
            House which described their mountain climbing adventures in 1913
            Bend, Oregon. I will now try to locate Don May's family.

            In another card (1946) he mentions a friend named Sam Maddux, who's
            mother was one of his childhood teachers in Lawton, Oklahoma. He also
            states in this card that he recorded a year's worth of fifteen-minute
            spots for his Castle Card radio program...quite interesting. He says
            that he has come to loathe his lecture tours, and is hoping to give
            them up.

            He mentions living at the Roosevelt Hotel, and eating most of his
            dinners at the Cinegrill, the hotel's restaurant (which still exists)
            - He liked to eat marinated herring.

            ~~Keith
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 22, 2003
              In 1933 Blanding wrote the poem "Let Us Dream," which was also the
              title of the book
              the poem appears in. The poem was dedicated to Laura Levering, who I
              believe was
              also mentioned in the Maloney thesis as the person who introduced
              Blanding to the
              NYC art scene in 1928.

              I got an email a few years ago from someone who owned a letter
              written by Blanding
              to Laura Levering, but unfortunately, I lost contact with this person
              before I could
              obtain a copy of the letter. Too bad, as it might have shed some
              light on Don's NYC
              years, a fuzzy period in my research.

              Today I came across an obituary for Laura in the New York Times...she
              died on Dec.
              23, 1964 in Greewich, Conn. Through that I tracked down her son
              Walter, who is still
              alive and Living in NYC at the age of 98. He didn't know or remember
              Blandinng, but
              will ask around the family to see if any of them did.

              Walter is the oldest living member of the 1933 Yale football team, a
              former Wall
              Street Stock Broker, and an arctic explorer...a very interesting man.