Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: New Clues

  • pgbusi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3 11:02 AM
      Bev:
      There is (or was) a Highland Hotel on Highland Ave. (a block or two from the
      Hollywood Bowl). I'll check it out.
      Aloha, Dean
    • Beverly Leinbach
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3 1:51 PM
        Jim,

        No dates on his Europe trip yet...still looking.

        Thanks for clearing up my other question.

      • Beverly Leinbach
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3 2:03 PM
          Keith,

          I am now sitting here for 2 days trying to organize all the clues we have
          gathered and I have filled 6-- 1 1/2" loose leaf holders. At this rate I'll
          have my own library going soon.

          Thanks for all your work. Need to get my thought together and focused on
          the DB/Carmel era.

        • Keith Emmons
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3 2:40 PM
            Beverly,

            I know what you mean...I have an entire filing cabinet drawer filed
            with Blanding files...and another 1/2 foot of bound copy materials
            that I've collected recently. It's only going to increase! I just try
            to keep it organized so that I can access everything when a question
            pops up.

            Keith
          • MauiBandB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3 3:47 PM
              Thats funny didn't know he was connected to Rockford College know place well
              as I attended Beloit 20 miles away.
              He was everywhere.

              maui tom
            • Keith Emmons
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3 4:18 PM
                Here's the info on Don's Rockford connection:

                In 1919 he lived at 309 W. State Street...the legal firm of Reynolds
                & Reckow were also housed at 307-309...so he may have been in an
                upstairs apartment.

                He was listed as a lecturer in fine and applied art for Rockford
                College that year as well. That doesn't necessarily mean he was on
                staff...he might have just been a guest lecturer.

                On another note:
                I just contacted Ruby Altizer Roberts on the phone. She is 93, and
                was a former poet laureate of Virginia. According to my records, her
                book 'Command The Stars' published in 1948, had six reprinted
                illustrations by Blanding. When I got her on the phone, however, she
                said "she didn't know any Blanding"...and sounded rather irritated. I
                asked her if she was the author of 'Command the Stars' (thinking I
                had maybe gotten the wrong person)...and she said she was. She
                claimed the book only had photos. I apologized, and she hung up on me.

                In looking over my notes, I see she also wrote a book called 'Look
                Down at the Stars' in 1994...could she have gotten the similar titles
                confused? She is 93 after all.

                My question to all of you is whether anyone has a copy of 'Command
                the Stars'...and if so, are there indeed illustrations by Blanding?
                It was printed by Wings Press in Mill Valley, Calif. in 1948.
                If I can get a copy of it, I'll send it to her and ask her again if
                she remembers anything about Don. I guess it may not do much good, as
                she sounds a bit out of it...(not like good old Ted Wassmer!)

                Keith
              • Beverly Leinbach
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3 5:04 PM
                  Well........,

                  I had a nice visit on the phone with Don Blanding old-neighbor from
                  Carmel. His Mom was actually friendly with Don and Bill only spoke to him
                  once or twice before going of to the Army in 1941. The house I originally
                  took pictures of in Carmel is his and he lived there from 1937-41. He said
                  Don was a "good Neighbor, friendly and had a lot friend". His son Wally
                  lives in the house now.
                  Asked if Don had given them any of his art work. He said he (DB) gave a
                  lot of it away in Carmel and he would look and ask Wally to look in the old
                  Carmel house. His house was built by 2 concert pianists and they had 2
                  grand pianos in the living room...why it is so large.
                  So, I'll keep in contact with him...who know what he might remember or
                  find around the house. I'll also check with the folks across the street
                  from DB/Al's house, they also knew DB.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3 6:39 PM
                    Keith,

                    Two listings for "Command the Stars" on Bookfinder.com:

                    1 Any Amount of Books
                    via Bibliofind

                    The Wing Press, California 1948. First edition. Signed presentation
                    copy. Hardback. Very good indeed; In slightly worn good/very good
                    dust jacket. 85pp. 6 illustrations by Don Blanding. Poetry. $39.26

                    2 Alibris

                    The Wing Press, California 1948, 1st Edition. First edition. Signed
                    presentation copy. Hardback. Very good indeed; In slightly worn
                    good/very good dust jacket. 85pp. 6 illustrations by Don Blanding.
                    Poetry.. $70.00

                    ~~Cadia

                    --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Keith Emmons"
                    <keith2draw@e...> wrote:
                    > Here's the info on Don's Rockford connection:
                    >
                    > In 1919 he lived at 309 W. State Street...the legal firm of
                    Reynolds
                    > & Reckow were also housed at 307-309...so he may have been in an
                    > upstairs apartment.
                    >
                    > He was listed as a lecturer in fine and applied art for Rockford
                    > College that year as well. That doesn't necessarily mean he was on
                    > staff...he might have just been a guest lecturer.
                    >
                    > On another note:
                    > I just contacted Ruby Altizer Roberts on the phone. She is 93, and
                    > was a former poet laureate of Virginia. According to my records,
                    her
                    > book 'Command The Stars' published in 1948, had six reprinted
                    > illustrations by Blanding. When I got her on the phone, however,
                    she
                    > said "she didn't know any Blanding"...and sounded rather irritated.
                    > asked her if she was the author of 'Command the Stars' (thinking I
                    > had maybe gotten the wrong person)...and she said she was. She
                    > claimed the book only had photos. I apologized, and she hung up on
                    me.

                    > In looking over my notes, I see she also wrote a book called 'Look
                    > Down at the Stars' in 1994...could she have gotten the similar
                    titles
                    > confused? She is 93 after all.
                    >
                    > My question to all of you is whether anyone has a copy of 'Command
                    > the Stars'...and if so, are there indeed illustrations by Blanding?
                    > It was printed by Wings Press in Mill Valley, Calif. in 1948.
                    > If I can get a copy of it, I'll send it to her and ask her again if
                    > she remembers anything about Don. I guess it may not do much good,
                    as
                    > she sounds a bit out of it...(not like good old Ted Wassmer!)
                    >
                    > Keith
                  • Keith Emmons
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3 8:12 PM
                      Thanks Cadia.

                      Hello all,
                      I just scored a 1st edition "Stowaways in Paradise" (Cosmopolitan)
                      in super condition...so I'm selling my other copy on ebay. The one
                      I'm selling is the first Dodd, Mead & Company version (1938)...and it
                      has a nice multi-colored cover.

                      Here is the link:
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400552425

                      Take care everyone...it's almost the weekend!
                      KEITH :o)
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 4 7:10 AM
                        Good stuff Bev....keep digging....tj off line until late monday nite...