Carmel Show

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 2, 2000
      TJ,
      Hal & I will be there. we will stay at the Vagabonds House Inn on the
      19th & 20th. The date for the show is still the 20th????

      Did you ever check out what the Vagabonds House had of DB's?

    • Beverly Leinbach
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 3, 2000
        TJ,

        Time is flying by and I need to know:

        1. Do you want the paroes (material) for the DB displays in Carmel?
        Otherwise I will return them next week.

        2. Do you want me to make the poster of the DB writing card that I have? I
        mentioned this this past spring.

        3. Are you having DB art work and do you need the Friendship photo or did
        you make a copy of the one I put in the DB photo album?

        Let me know so I will know what to do about these things. We will be in
        the Santa Crux/ Carmel area starting Sept 16th. So I can get things to the
        First Murphy before the Show starts.

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 16, 2000
          FROM TJ AND DON:

          THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO GET ON THE INVITATION LIST. I WILL BE SENDING MY
          LIST OF NAMES BY THURSDAY NITE........TJ
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 16, 2000
            tj would like to take this opportunity to share my personal appreciation for
            alohaspirit, Don and Michelle Stewart. They have taken on this show project
            with so much energy and have created a team between us. What I don't know,
            they do, and vice-versa. Don and Michelle have created the invitations,
            coordinated the poster with Keith, and as of today have created an interview
            with pictures to be in the Monterey Herald about 2-3 weeks before the show.
            Bonnie Gartshore is going to do a quality spread for us with a feature story
            on the show. I think most of you think tj has done all of this but this is
            not the case. Curt Blanding and Jake helped with the photo's for the show
            also. tj wouldn't know how to do these things. tj just received a packet of
            information from Bev relating to Carmel. DB would take heart at the
            wonderful spirit of cooperation and efforts to remember him. Between us all,
            we make a great team and will benefit from the future rememberances of DB. I
            feel fortunate to have met so many nice people gaining nothing from this
            venture except bringing the public awareness of DB back into the limelight
            where it belongs............tj
          • Jim Whiteley
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 19, 2000
              Hello all,
              Best of luck in Carmel. Wish I could be there, it's sure to be a
              special evening.
              Jim
            • Bill McMurray
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 19, 2000
                I echo Jim's sentiments. Forget the Olymics, if there's a place I'd love to
                be this week it's Carmel, Cal. Good thoughts are comin' at ya from Quebec,
                Canada.

                Bill

                ----------
              • Jim Whiteley
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 27, 2000
                  The photos of the show are great. It looks like a terrific show!
                  Gotta ask, what is the title of the unpublished manuscript?
                  Jim
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 27, 2000
                    The infamous unpublished manuscipt is titled: "No Strings On Tomorrow". tj
                    has read the entire manuscript and is about to re-read it again. It is very
                    religious and philosophical and reflected DB's passion to understand his
                    spitirtual self and his life as it related to the world at that time. Some
                    of it, is (in my opinion) not DB's best writing but there were moments of
                    brilliance and reflections of the "old" DB that most of us would recognize.
                    tj is working with others to further understand the context of this
                    manuscript as it applied to DB at that time. It will need some
                    interpretation if it is published as a new work. tj was of the opinion that
                    DB had completed his own needs to be popular and was obsessed with
                    understanding himself and "what life means". Heavy stuff, but very
                    interesting once you get the hang of it............tj
                  • Jim Whiteley
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                      tj,
                      Thanks for the info. Edythe had finsished "No Strings on Tomorrow"
                      following Don's death but Dodd, Mead wouldn't publish it. I was
                      wondering what happened to it. It's nice to know it survived and is
                      safe. Do you know it's history in the intervening years?
                      The subject matter is interesting. We have the manuscript notes
                      for "The Fellow I Live With" (in what seems to be a similar binder)
                      which he started in the late 40s. It too is very metaphysical,
                      religious and introspective. I've only read parts, it's very slow
                      going when you don't know the references. On the same subject, in the
                      late 40s there were a number of "4 point letters" between Don,
                      Edythe, Hyln, and Catherine (?) which they circulated among
                      themselves offering advice and insights. Apparently, they were all
                      involved in the Church of Religious Science and were exploring its
                      philosophy together.
                      Jim
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 20, 2000
                        On Saturday the Carmel show ended (tears). The show was described as
                        the most succssful show the Carmel Heritage Society has had to date.
                        Don/Michelle, Tom/Jan, did video's of 4 people on Saturday that brought moist
                        eyes to all. The people interviewed were inspiring and informative. It was
                        such a pleasure to capture their "stories" on video. It's hard to convey the
                        affection these people had for DB. He inspired them, encouraged them and
                        maintained contact with them at all costs.
                        Babette, that maintained contact with Blanding until his death, was the
                        first licensed female pilot in the USA. DB did a story about her in the
                        Carmel Pine Cone. In WW2, she flew BOMBERS and met her husband who is still
                        living with her today. They flew bombers together in WW2. She was so moved
                        by Blanding and then our show, she was moved to tears with her memories....
                        Clyde, corresponded with DB while he fought in the Philipines. Clyde
                        then wrote his own poetry book and did the artwork himself, a copycat of DB's
                        style...a wonderful book and a wonderful story. Clyde has had a partial
                        stroke now, but proudly showed up for the interview. He was a 6th grade
                        school teacher after the war until his retirement. He read Stowaways to his
                        class until the book fell apart and they enjoyed it each time he read
                        it.....he was there when Gen. MacArthur returned to the Philipines with his
                        famous photo, wading through the water to the beach.....
                        Louise, now in her 90's, was in a DB play in Hawaii and was dressed in a
                        flower costume. She couldn't remember the name of the play or the date. Her
                        memory was not working well that day! She described DB's personality as
                        "Carbonated"! I asked her what that meant and she said, "always bubbling",
                        he never stopped! Louise was a talking show for sure, she was a delight and
                        a treasure.
                        Kay, who still lives in Carmel, met DB during a theatre party and went
                        to his house with the cast. She remembers seeing the famous glass ship at
                        his house that night. Kay is the person who got me started in Carmel with
                        the show.
                        Then as we concluded the video interviews, we had a young man in his 30's
                        show up. He had just heard of the show and walked in with a brief case full
                        of Blanding material! It turns out he is the grandson of Ada Hull! He has
                        letters, post cards, photos (Bend Oregon) and then pulls out several original
                        DB prints his grandmother left him. He has two more at his house. He has a
                        reel to reel tape of music his grandma recorded, using DB's poetry. I asked
                        him if he could convert it to tape or CD, and he will check that out. The
                        prints are originals and wonderful. He said he would make me copies of
                        everything he owns and send it to me. I will share with the group when I get
                        them. He made a real connection with my co-host Don Stewart as they are
                        musicians in kind!

                        And so, the show concluded at 4pm, with Ada's grandson and a wonderful
                        display of DB's stuff........we thought it appropriate to end like that! We
                        did tape Ada's grandson also, (his name is Rick).

                        Now on to Chowchilla and the gateway to Yosemite!.................tj
                      • Keith Emmons
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                          tj...your message blew me away...what an experience!

                          All of this will make a great book AND a super documentary... will
                          you make copies of the video available to us? I'd love to see
                          it...and show my father.

                          I'm very excited about the Hull connection...what a fortuitous, and
                          as you said FITTING way to end the show. FABULOUS!!!

                          We're all very proud of you guys for the show you put on...well done!

                          Keith
                        • Bill McMurray
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                            Congratulations tj; How I wish I could have been there. I am in awe. I
                            know DB would be very proud to have a friend such as you.
                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                              Ada Hull's grandson has emailed me already and will copy everything he has
                              for me. Also, he is now contacting all of his relatives to determine what if
                              anything other relatives have of DB's. He is also searching for oral/written
                              history. He will also burn a copy of his grandma's music for me and put it
                              on tape or a CD. Should be very interesting! This is quite a find!
                              ................tj
                            • Beverly Leinbach
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                                TJ,

                                What a great ending to that great DB Show in Carmel. How I wish Hal and I
                                could have been there for the end as we were for the first day.

                                Will you be making copies of the first and last day videos you and Jan
                                took and can we get them?

                              • irene a gombac
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                                  aloha beverly,
                                  i'm not TJ so you may want to resend your message!
                                  irene

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                                    Aloha, Irene, and other new group members,

                                    Welcome to the group! Please keep in mind that you are subscribed to
                                    the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors Society list. This means you will
                                    get a copy of all messages posted, regardless of the person addressed.

                                    If you prefer to receive only a daily digest (one e-mail containing
                                    all messages) or to view the messages online at

                                    http://www.egroups.com/group/aloha-donblanding

                                    please modify your subscription to reflect your choice. The message
                                    board is only one part of our Blanding site. I hope you will visit
                                    and explore the Files (lots of photos and information), Database
                                    (we've started a Blanding time line), Links, Calendar and other areas.

                                    If you need assistance or have questions, please let me know.

                                    Mahalo,

                                    ~~Cadia
                                    List Owner
                                    duchess @ speakeasy.org
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                                      I can make copies of the tapes as needed. If you really want one, I will
                                      have one made for you of the grand opening and the ending interviews.....tj
                                    • Keith Emmons
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                                        tj,
                                        I'm in for a tape...since I couldn't make it, I'd love to get a copy.
                                        Keith
                                      • JoAnna Koskinen
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                                          Hello,

                                          Would it be possible to make a copy for me as well, TJ?

                                          JoAnna

                                          TJMarkle@... wrote:

                                          > I can make copies of the tapes as needed. If you really want one, I will
                                          > have one made for you of the grand opening and the ending interviews.....tj

                                        • Merle Prusia
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 21, 2000
                                            Tom-what a wonderful report on the Carmel show! I really would like to have
                                            a copy of your first and last day tape. Please advise re: cost. Thanks,
                                            Merle
> [...]
                                            > DB prints his grandmother left him. He has two more at his house. He has
                                            > reel to reel tape of music his grandma recorded, using DB's poetry. I
                                            asked
                                            > him if he could convert it to tape or CD, and he will check that out.
                                            The
                                            > prints are originals and wonderful. He said he would make me copies of
                                            > everything he owns and send it to me. I will share with the group when I
                                            get
                                            > them. He made a real connection with my co-host Don Stewart as they are
                                            > musicians in kind!
                                            >
                                            > And so, the show concluded at 4pm, with Ada's grandson and a wonderful
                                            > display of DB's stuff........we thought it appropriate to end like that!
                                            We
                                            > did tape Ada's grandson also, (his name is Rick).
                                            >
                                            > Now on to Chowchilla and the gateway to Yosemite!.................tj

                                          • tjmarkle2005
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 7, 2011
                                              The day one part of the show went well. I'm pleased. Actually met a 76 year old man who remembered walking with Don in Carmel when he was a child. His parents knew Don. I have his phone # and address and I'll be talking more with him. Really something to meet someone like that. He confirmed a little part of my lecture about Don's depression and unhappiness in the 50's. I had lots of compliments on my collection which is quite impressive I must say. I have so much I couldn't display it all. I lectured 50 Carmel tourists who never heard of Don. They were so impressed with his artwork/ceramics/books/poetry that they were taking photo's like crazy. Lots of positive comments and amazement of Don's artistic abilities and the fact that he was a vagabond. From 5-7pm I lectured another 28 people who stayed another 2 hours with questions to answer about Don and his life. Again, very positive comments about Don and his Carmel affiliations. I go back tomorrow from 1-5pm for who ever shows up. Sunday A.M. I pack up and leave for home. Great time and I enjoyed it and would do it again...........in ten years....tj
                                            • Terry Williams
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 7, 2011
                                                Went to Tom's show this evening, wonderful selection of Don's work and a
                                                GREAT presentation by Tom ... love to go again ... but 10 years? should be
                                                every couple!!! Congratulations Tom.

                                                _____