Pictures of House in Lawton, Little Red Store

  • Allen Dayton
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
      Debbie! I have several questions and comments.

      1. Is the house that is in the upper left corner still standing in
      Lawton and where is it located?

      2. I was born in 1934 and grew up at 313 Arlington. Across the
      street
      lived the Lawernces (sp) who founded the Little Red Store. Mrs.
      Lawernce was living there with her son, Arthur. At this time, they
      owned a store on D street where my sister worked as a teenager. (Our
      family were early settlers in Lawton, my mother and her family moved
      there before 1901 and my dad came in 1906. My grandfather owned the
      Clements Apple House between Second and Third on E-street. I might
      have some early day pictures if you are interested.) My uncle went
      school with Joan Crawford but I don't have any memory of any of my
      family discussing Don Blanding. I am sure they knew the family as my
      grandparents lived at 7th and E.)

      3. Did you ever order the material from the University of Oklahoma
      or
      did you think it was worthwhile?

      You are doing a great job with all of this. I would like very much
      get down to Lawton and see the exhibit before it closes.
    • dd17th@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
        Allen, I believe I can clear up some of your questions.

        --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Allen Dayton" <adayton@e...>
        wrote:
        > Debbie! I have several questions and comments.
        >
        > 1. Is the house that is in the upper left corner still standing in
        > Lawton and where is it located?

        The house is no longer there, but as you can see, the retaining wall
        is. I'm not sure who owns the property. Someone told me a business
        (Cablevision), which is next door to the west, owns the lot.

        > 2. I was born in 1934 and grew up at 313 Arlington. Across the
        > street
        > lived the Lawernces (sp) who founded the Little Red Store. Mrs.
        > Lawernce was living there with her son, Arthur. At this time, they
        > owned a store on D street where my sister worked as a teenager.

        I'm very familiar with the Lawrence family, particularly Arthur
        Lawrence. Arthur's neice, Billy June Lawrence Ouimet, donated a
        LARGE collection of photos and archival materials to the museum about
        1987. I probably spent more than a year sorting through his material
        and making inventories. And he was such an historian himself - he
        identified everything !!

        >I might have some early day pictures if you are interested.)

        I'd LOVE for you to donate early day Lawton photos, or any photos
        dealing with the Great Plains would be in our mission statement.
        You'd be surprised how many people are facinated with southwest
        Oklahoma. We would set up a collection in your name (or anyone else,
        for that matter). The museum has doubled in space since I first came
        to work here (16 years ago !), and the archives have a new state-of-
        the-art compact storage unit.

        >My uncle went to school with Joan Crawford but I don't have any
        >memory of any of my family discussing Don Blanding. I am sure they
        >knew the family as my grandparents lived at 7th and E.)

        Joan Crawford was "saved" one day by DB when he found her bleeding
        after a bad fall - re: "The Girl Across the Street" poem. She
        was a few years younger, I believe, than DB.

        >3. Did you ever order the material from the University of Oklahoma
        > or did you think it was worthwhile?

        I'm not sure what material you're talking about. I used to work at
        the Western History Collections as a student. The exhibit materials
        for Blanding all came from our collections - we have a great deal of
        materials.

        > You are doing a great job with all of this. I would like very much
        > to get down to Lawton and see the exhibit before it closes.

        Thank you for the compliment. Both Jim and John (our Exhibits
        Curator) and yours truely (!) all put a great deal of energy and time
        into this exhibit.

        Please stay in touch and contact me if you desire to donate. {:-Deb