Hugh Ross Blanding Photo

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
      Checked out a book from the library called "Heck Thomas: Frontier
      Marshall" by Glenn Shirley (1962).

      It's a rather interesting book about a gunfighter in Oklahoma
      Territory. He spent his last remaining years as Police Chief of
      Lawton. There are some great photos...one has heck posing with some
      law-men in Lawton, and sitting to his left is Hugh Ross Blanding.

      I've uploaded the photo to the files section under 'Friends and
      Family of Blanding'. There is quite a resemblence to Don. I've
      confirmed his identity from a photo of Hugh that Donna Wendt gave me
      awhile back.

      There is supposed to be a mention of Hugh in the book, but I haven't
      come across it yet.

      Keith
    • dd17th@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2000
        Keith, we have that photo of Lawton's First Police Force in the
        exhibit. The copy I used is from the Arthur Lawrence Collection (87-
        P5) and the photo number is 90. I'm adding it to the Don Blanding
        gallery on Photopoint for everyone to see. The photo was done by the
        Wade Studio, and there are probably quite a few copies made, at least
        around this neck of the woods ! Kinda neat - Hugh Ross was an
        important man around town in 1901 ! {:-Deb (I've listed the names
        in the space available)

        --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Keith Emmons"

      • dd17th@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2000
          Hi Keith and all - I said I was going to put this image on the DB
          gallery (see below) but my scanner at work is messed up (errrr !)
          I'm waiting for our computer repair man.... Hopefully soon, I'll add
          some more photos. DB seems to be the most popular album at the
          site ! {:-Deb