Oklahoma

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2000
      tj reviewing some Oklahoma exerpts (sp?) sent to me by Gail.

      DB had a buddy in WW2 who's wife had a baby daughter. The daughter was 1
      month old when the poem was written. DB's buddy was Jim Roosa who had only
      seen his daughter for a couple of hours while on leave. No dates on this.....

      FOR GAIL

      Young Lady! Oh, so young and small
      Your soldier-daddy sends his greetings.
      We've really had no time at all
      To get acquainted in our meetings.
      I have to dream just how you look,
      Your face asleep - - Your baby laughter.
      The folks must keep a picture book
      For me to see some day hereafter.
      Your first brave step - your first hard bump.
      Your second step (let's try again!)
      I'd like to kiss that bruise or bump,
      And soothe away the ugly pain.
      We'll have to wait (life runs that way)
      So learn one word. Please do not fail.
      And when I do come back some day
      Say "Daddy" when I call out "Gail"

      There was no date on this poem but it was the first time I had read of
      it. Actually, quite touching of DB but very characteristic of him.

      FROM THE ENID DAILY EAGLE 9-21-42 (tj was 4 months old!) A letter from DB
      to Kenneth ( no last name):

      Your can't keep on Oklahoman out of a fight. Here I am again in the old
      uniform, private Donald B. blanding, T-147, "I"-4, Second Receiving Company,
      Camp Upton, N.Y., and loving it. It's tough sledding, but what the hell. I
      had to get in. The minute they raised the age of enlistment above 45 that
      let me in at 471/2, so I hightailed it down and enlisted as a private in
      infantry. I've been wanting to know what this generation is thinking, and
      where better than in the ranks where the entire cross-section of polyglot
      America is being sorted, sifted, prouned and placed. Just these 10 days have
      been so rich in human experience that I'm slightly dizzy with it. One of my
      buddies is Finn, and the other is a peppery Irish boy.
      Now I can talk from the inside, but before, I felt like an overstuffed
      canary twittering while the cannons boomed. I'm talking at night after
      drill, to the hospital, service clubs, etc, telling amusing stuff of Hawaii
      before Peral Harbor, and such things to take the fellows' minds off
      home-sickness and give'em a laugh and something to dream about. Here's why I
      went in:

      VETERAN HEART

      I am weary. Yet, if fate should
      say to me,
      "Rest Soldier, rest. Dismissed. Put
      Down your pack."
      Each nerve and muscle would
      make tired, urgent plea
      To listen and obey. A moment's
      Slack
      While sleep's insistent fingers
      press against my eyes
      And Langour's slow, drugged wine
      lulls sounds of strife
      Until my verteran heart, protesting
      cries,
      Fall in, Soldier, Forward March!

      So, now tj has some better personal insight into why WW1 Lt. Blanding joined
      up as a WW2 Corporal. I think this was the object of some past discussions
      with our group. It seems to be typical Blanding style. I like it.......tj

      As I read through this, I will put it out on line for everyone to enjoy.
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        tj,
        nice stuff...

        The first poem is "Soldier's Baby" from 'Pilot Bails Out' (page 36)

        and the second poem is from page 85 (last page) of 'Pilot Bails Out'