[aloha-donblanding] Manago Hotel

  • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2000
      Larry writes:

      >>I was raised in Hilo (on the other side of the island...) and I have fond
      memories of the Captain Cook and Kealakekua area, in fact I came across one
      of my first Blanding books at a small antique shop there, I recall a pleasant
      night settling into my room at the inn (Manago Hotel...) and reading
      Vagabond's House with a view of the ocean.<<

      Indeed, we stayed at the Manago Hotel in November, when we were in Hawai'i
      for a week with a storytelling tour, StoryFest (www.storyfest.com). It's a
      Japanese family hotel, founded about eighty years ago, rather plain
      facilities, wonderful fish and fried pork chops, and a delightfully
      disordered potted plant garden, and a lovely koi pond. A wonderful place to
      read Don Blanding, I suppose.

      "Stowaways in Paradise" kept my sister and me, Army brats both born at
      Tripler Army Hospital, dreaming of Hawai'i through forty years before we
      returned there.

      Some of Don Blanding's books are kept in print by Petroglyph Press. I wonder
      if they know anything about his copyrights.

      Bob Richmond
      back in Knoxville TN for the winter
    • Jakable@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2000
        I have fond memories of the Manago Hotel. I stayed there several times when I
        lived in Hawaii. Alas, that was before I discovered Don Blanding. But the
        pork chops were highly recommended and it is good to see they still are.