stuff

  • Jim Whiteley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2000
      Happy 4th!
      Wow, I got behind during the past week and am now going through all
      of the new information posted, could take a while!
      Couple of things...yes, we have programs for "A Night to Remember"
      and the Junior League shows. Also a flyer (I believe) from the Taos
      show. We also have typewritten copies of Don's will. I think there
      is an offical copy but I'll have to go back and check.
      Don had said they moved to Lawton on his 7th birthday, that would
      have been November 1901. H.R. was elected Police Judge in October '01.
      The townsite wasn't opened until August '01. If the family didn't
      move until Nov. it would make sense that H.R. would move first,
      secure a job and home (even by Nov. there were still a lot of tents
      around) before sending for his family.

      I think you all would have been very happy with the opening of our
      show Friday (I know I was). We had just over 200 people show up (one
      woman flew in from Tenn. after catching our website!) It was
      wonderful to see Don getting so much attention and praise!

      Jim
    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2003
        Maui Tom: Did you get a copy of the Arrinton's Inn Traveler Spring edition magazine? It contains an article on the Vagabond House Inn in Carmel. The article contains a good reference to Blanding quoted from myself. This is primarily an industry magazine and doesn't seem to be on the newstands per se. I'm still working on getting your Inn featured. They publish quarterly. We need to work on the Spring or Summer edition of 2004 as I know they plan way ahead. If it worked, we could feature your Inn and Blandings Lei Day on Maui. Wouldn't that be fun! We could get Michael to show his beautiful collection and I could contribute some of my things also. We'll see what happens but I haven't given up.
        I also will be having lunch with a local Sacramento Antique dealer that I mentioned before. She is a close relative of Mitzie Eaton (Carmel puppet plays). She is coming to my house to see my collection and will also bring some of DB's belonging that he gave away when he moved from Carmel and evidently gave to Mitzie. You know he gave everything away when he left and I guess this is more proof that he actually did this.
        During this year, I am going to create my own personal website, not like Keith's or Cadia's, but to feature my own collection and efforts. I'm working on some of it now, scanning in some pictures, etc.
        So much for now. aloha.......My our troops be safe and Bush learns how to be a diplomat some day.......tj
      • Michael Pfeffer
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2003
          TJ,
          I understand your disappointment, but cheer up, the
          primary fish (his kihikihi) is a pretty good
          representation of a Moorish Idol and most of the other
          fish in his aquarium design are the right shape, but the
          colors are simplified. However, given that most tropical
          reef fish do not have simple one colored bodies (except
          for yellow tangs and a few others) it makes sense that DB
          and the art students at Vernon would have to decorate
          simpler versions of each fish. They couldnt do litle
          spots and such or they never would have been able to make
          enough to sell. So, I think he was true to the tropical
          fish motif, but the pragmatic nature of trying to mass
          produce something that complex necessitated simplifying
          the coloration process for each fish. Hope that helps,
          Michael

          ps, just photographed my jam jars and most of my limited
          aquarium pieces and will post as well.

          aloha, michael (wekeula)

          On Sat, 3 May 2003 17:13:41 -0700 (PDT)
          tjmarkle@... wrote:
          >Always find new little tidbits, but this one needs more
          >research. I've noticed on several occasions, DB goes to
          >Palm Springs to visit. I've wondered where he might stay
          >while there as no mention of it that I've read so far. I
          >missed an estate auction in Palm Springs by one day of
          >Erle Stanley Gardner's home. So, might that be where he
          >stayed? If you've read the March 5th, 1937 Carmel Pine
          >Cone Special Edition that was dedicated to Blanding, Erle
          >Stanley wrote his tribute to Blanding on page 14. Erle's
          >humorous accounting of DB's character makes me wonder if
          >they didn't visit in the desert of Palm Springs that Erle
          >loved. I'm sure Palm Springs was more of a desert then
          >than it is now. I traveled many an antique store and
          >estate sale business's while in Palm Springs but found
          >nothing of Blanding interest. Oh well... Also, I am a
          >bit disapointed that Blanding might actually paint fish
          >of imagination (aquarium design) and not the real fish!
          >I've been searching books for the three designs I have.
          > I own a 7.5 inch, 8.5 inch and a 9.5 inch with 3
          >different ones. I'll photo them soon and upload... tj

          Michael T. Pfeffer
          President& CEO
          Persis Corporation
          808-599-8059
        • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2003
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2003
              TJ,
              I will look at my library and figure the best book for you
              and let you know. As for the bubbles, I am afraid that
              fish dont really make bubbles.

              Even worse, the kinds of corals that DB depicted on the
              coral reef plates dont really look much like a lot of the
              corals we have here. In fact, they look more like corals
              one might find in the Caribbean or Gulf so perhaps his
              time in Florida helped shape his "tropical" thoughts. . .
              ? In any event, I dont imagine that he (or many people at
              all, really)was out there checking out the reef since
              snorkelling hadnt even been invented for the masses yet. I
              think he probably used pictures or examples that were
              brought up for sale by what divers there were as his
              inspiration.

              It opens a whole new thought line about DB, do we know if
              he did any swimming or surfing or fishing or diving at
              all?

              Aloha, Michael

              On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
              tjmarkle@... wrote:

              Michael T. Pfeffer
              President& CEO
              Persis Corporation
              808-599-8059
            • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2003
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2003
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2003
                    tj

                    Speaking of Erle Stanley Gardner, I own a copy of REST OF THE ROAD
                    which was once owned by him. I think they were good friends indeed.
                    Erle and Don used to visit their mutual friend Nell Martin in New
                    York.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2003
                      tj

                      I just checked my collection and I got the book wrong. It was a 1st
                      edition of Memory Room (1935) that Blanding gave to Erle.

                      "To Erle, aloha to one who has contributed many turkey legs to my
                      Memory Room...Don Blanding"

                      The two writers sure had a turkey connection going!

                      As long as I'm talking about my collection, I'll brag about a few
                      other items in it (it is the Don Blanding COLLECTOR'S society after
                      all!)

                      I also have a signed copy of Mostly California given to Hedda Hopper
                      by screen actress Adeline De Walt Reynolds (1862-1861) who was known
                      as "Grandma" in Hollywood. There is a signed photo of Grandma, and a
                      Hedda Hopper column included in the book, as well as a signed
                      Blanding photo inscribed to Hedda. Don and Grandma were very good
                      friends, and Don dedicated a poem to Hedda in TODAY IS HERE.

                      I have a true first edition of The Virgin of Waikiki (1926) which was
                      owned by Trem Carr, an early movie producer from Hollywood. I believe
                      he was a member of the Wampus Club that Don spoke to.

                      There is a first edition of Leaves from a Grass House which was owned
                      by Honolulu socialite Sybil Hocking. She ended up marrying a New York
                      man and died in a NY sanitarium at the tender age of 26.

                      I own a bound book of Don's Fort Pierce newspaper columns which was
                      inscribed and given to his mother-in-law in 1941.

                      I have a poetry book which was once in Don's personal library and has
                      his ornate book plate, which he gave to a friend at some point.

                      But enough about my collection, who else has pieces in their
                      collection that they want to bring to the "show and tell?" Michael,
                      tj, Cadia...