Re: [aloha-donblanding] Many questions

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3 8:52 PM
      From tj to Bev; Let me know what you find with Chowchilla. I can go there
      in about 3 hours and have plans to do so in the near future. If you have any
      leads, I can go check them out fairly easily, if it is on a weekend. Good
      work!...tj
    • Beverly Leinbach
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3 9:16 PM
        tj,
        The Historian (?) is suppose to e-mail me. I'll let you know.

        Also,I was watching the HAOLE HULA bidding today. Saw 2 more bids on it
        and they were not yours, so I bid and think I got it, but have heard nothing
        yet. At least I tried to keep it in the group.

        Bev.

        From: TJMarkle@...
        To: aloha-donblanding@egroups.com
        Subject: Re: [aloha-donblanding] Many questions
        Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 23:52:04 EDT

        From tj to Bev; Let me know what you find with Chowchilla.
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 3 9:28 PM
          tj has a copy of this already. If I can get seconds at a cheap price, I just
          pick them up. They are good for horsetrading for items I don't
          have.....oops, let the secret out...I have about 5 music selections right
          now, lyrics by DB.
        • MauiBandB@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 4 10:52 AM
            Haole Hula bid

            TJ is that by R. Alex Anderson? Did Blanding do any of the artwork? It is
            one of my favorite songs.

            Last verse written for Haole Hula in 1928
            ...'I love to sing and dance of the charms of Hawai'i
            and from a joyful heart sing aloha to you
            in every note is a tale of these Islands
            for that I know that you will be in love with them too...

            If you get it I guess Iwould like a digital copy too. Or buy it from you.

            aloha
            Maui Tom
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 4 5:15 PM
              Maui Tom: It is one of the ones going digital for you. Yes, the music is by
              R. Alex Anderson..........It was published by R.Alex. Anderson, in Honolulu.
              T.H. There we go again with the T.H. after Honolulu, is that Territory
              Hawaii??? tj
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 4 5:24 PM
                Maui Tom: As to the artwork on the front....there is a black/white scene
                with palm trees reflecting into some water, mountains behind with a setting
                sun. Would appear to be Blanding in my opinion, but the familiar DB isn't on
                the art scene and there's no reference to him on the front page. In
                reviewing the music sheet, the front page says lyrics by Don Blanding, when
                you turn the page to the actual music, it says Words and Music by R. Alex.
                Anderson and doesn't give credit to DB for the lyrics.......So who actually
                wrote the lyrics, DB or Anderson? I'll review the rest of the music scores
                when I get them back from Martha...tj
              • MauiBandB@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 4 6:38 PM
                  TJ
                  You know I have always wondered about who wrote Haole Hula. The lyrics are
                  so much like Don would have written. It was Alex Anderson's favorite song.
                  Guess we will never know because he passed away about two years ago.

                  I have a book of Alex's songs 1971(first copyright 1940) no credit to DB on
                  Haole Hula
                  Harry B. Soria might know. He knew A Anderson. and is a historic music buff
                  collector mostly of the recording media. I will copy him on our e mails.

                  Harry B. note TJ's observations below any enlightening comments?
                  Maui Tom: As to the artwork on the front....there is a black/white scene
                  with palm trees reflecting into some water, mountains behind with a setting
                  sun. Would appear to be Blanding in my opinion, but the familiar DB isn't on
                  the art scene and there's no reference to him on the front page. In
                  reviewing the music sheet, the front page says lyrics by Don Blanding, when
                  you turn the page to the actual music, it says Words and Music by R. Alex.
                  Anderson and doesn't give credit to DB for the lyrics.......So who actually
                  wrote the lyrics, DB or Anderson? I'll review the rest of the music scores
                  when I get them back from Martha...tj

                  aloha

                  Tom
                • MauiBandB@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 4 6:41 PM
                    Yes Territory of Hawaii I believe will
                    copy Harry B on this one too for his insight

                    Harry B. your input please on below??
                    Maui Tom: It is one of the ones going digital for you. Yes, the music is by
                    R. Alex Anderson..........It was published by R.Alex. Anderson, in Honolulu.
                    T.H. There we go again with the T.H. after Honolulu, is that Territory
                    Hawaii??? tj
                  • Harry Soria
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 6 1:16 PM
                      I knew R Alex Anderson for most of my life, 1st through my dad, and then as
                      a radio & television interviewer of Andy. I mc'd his 100th birthday
                      celebrations at both the Oahu CC and the Waialae CC, and was privileged to
                      visit him at his Diamond Head home on numerous occasions.

                      I have a collection of his sheet music, many pieces of which he autographed
                      for me through the years.

                      I have a 1929 copyrighted sheetbooklet for "Theme songs of THE KAMAAINA - A
                      CHILD OF HAWAII" (a local stage production) It is published by R. Alex
                      Anderson of Honolulu, T.H. The lyrics are credited to: Flora J. Center and
                      John R. Morse. The music is credited to R. Alex Anderson.

                      I have a 1940 copyrighted publication of "BLUE LEI" which credits: Lyrics: R
                      Alex Anderson Music: Milton Beamer. Published by Anderson Songs.

                      I have a 1939 copyrighted publication of "SOFT GREEN SEAS". Verse by:
                      Leonie Weeks, Music by: R. Alex Anderson. Published by: R Alex Anderson,
                      Hono., TH.

                      I have a 1927 copyrighted publication of "HAOLE HULA". Words and Music by:
                      R. Alex Anderson. Published by R. Alex Anderson, Honolulu, Hawaii.

                      I have a 1932 copyrighted publication of "My Hula Girl In Hula Town". Words
                      and Music by R. Alex Anderson. Published by R. Alex Anderson, Honolulu, TH.

                      I have a 1941 copyrighted publication of "I WILL REMEMBER YOU". Words and
                      Music by: R. Alex Anderson and Carter Nott. Published by Anderson Songs.

                      I have a 1951 copyrighted publication of "SUNSHINE THE BEACHBOY". Words and
                      Music by: R. Alex Anderson, Andy Cummings, & Francis Ah Chong. Published by
                      R. Alex Anderson, Honolulu, T.H.

                      I have only listed 7 examples here, and I could go on and on, but here is
                      the point. R Alex Anderson was a affluent kamaaina and extremely successful
                      business leader. Song writing was a hobby. It is my impression that he
                      credited everybody for any contribution to music and/or lyric, no matter how
                      incidental their contribution. He was just that type of a class act.

                      If we were discussing Johnny Noble or Charles E. King, who were infamous for
                      swallowing up the work of others, and putting their names on for the sole
                      credit, then I might agree with your contention and theory.

                      However, we are discussing R Alex Anderson, and I can assure you that he
                      would have credited Don Blanding for anything he contributed. I have a
                      recording on an old Decca 78rpm where R Alex Anderson and Don Blanding are
                      credited along with the local theatre organist, as joint composers.

                      Based on all of the above, I must believe that "Haole Hula" is R Alex
                      Anderson's creation, 100%.

                      Further, he could write about Hawaii in a way that Blanding could not. Andy
                      wrote about the elements - the land, the sea, the wind, etc. in a manner
                      that is very close to the way that Hawaiian language lyrics translate out to
                      English. We say that he had a Hawaiian "feel". Don Blanding was a malihini
                      who had a wonderful Tropical "feel", but if you re-read the Anderson lyrics,
                      and realize that they have also been readily interpreted by hula dancers
                      because of their Hawaiian-ness, then you may be more convinced of origin
                      from Anderson's pen solely.

                      I hope this helps to address your questions.
                      Aloha,
                      Harry B.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 6 7:04 PM
                        Harry,
                        I have to agree with you...I see no evidence that Don Blanding
                        provided the lyrics to "Haole Hula." Don did write the words to
                        several of Anderson's other tunes, however. "Lei, Lei Buy
                        Lei", "Goodbye Honolulu and You, and "My Golden Shower Girl" I
                        believe were all written by Don.

                        We have to at least give Blanding credit for launching R. Alex
                        Anderson's career, as it was the theatre production of "Hula Moon"
                        that made "Haole Hula" a hit, and became his most popular song.

                        Blanding also did the illustration for Anderson's sheet
                        music "Alohaland"...a beautiful drawing that appeared in the first
                        edition of 'Paradise Loot' then disappeared from the second and later
                        editions. Could be that Anderson bought the rights to the artwork.

                        Bev: the article from 'Handbook of Oklahoma Writers' states several
                        interesting things:

                        1. As a youngster Don knew Geronimo, Quanah Parker, John Loco, Al
                        Jennings, Senator P. Gore, Jake Hamon.

                        2. Five short stories, written in collaboration with Nell Martin,
                        were published in various fiction periodicals.

                        3. His poem, "Dark Thorn Flower," took first prize for poems
                        published in Silhouette magazine.

                        4. At time of publication (1939), he had planned to spend a few years
                        in the study of archeology and ethnology of the Southwest.

                        5. His ambition was to write a book on the pioneer days in
                        Lawton...and another on a boy's book of adventure based on his
                        childhood gang of friends.

                        Also Bev, as far as I know Jean "Babe" London has no relation to Jack
                        London. I think all of her papers are located in the University of
                        Wyoming, but I'll check and see if there is anything of hers at UCLA.

                        KEITH :o)
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 6 7:55 PM
                          Harry, thanks for the information on Anderson and Blanding. I am currently
                          writing out the words to music in HAOLE HULA in another form to see how it
                          reads. tj's questions were just that, questions posed to Tom Fairchild after
                          reviewing some of the music scores I have recently aquired. The front page
                          of the music score puts the Lyrics by---Don Blanding in equal lettering to R.
                          Alex Anderson and I think might have been a "gift" from Anderson to Blanding.
                          I believe that the second page tells the real story, in that the lyrics were
                          by Anderson not Blanding. The front page of the musical score from Haole
                          Hula also lists other musical numbers, Hula Moon, Lei Lei, Buy Lei. and
                          Goodbye Honolulu and You........could Blanding have contributed to those
                          musical selections and received credit for one, some or all of those???
                          Thanks............tj
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 9 9:17 AM
                            I dropped off Haole Hula to Martha on Sat., and so the CD should be produced
                            this week I would assume. I will pay for it up front, and then you can repay
                            me or have I said that already? tj
                          • MauiBandB@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 9 1:54 PM
                              No problem. Just let me know the final amount TJ

                              and thanks again ever so much

                              aloha
                              Tom Fairbanks
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 2, 2002
                                I just found out that there has been a biography written about R.
                                Alex Anderson, the Hawaiian tunesmith who died a few years ago at the
                                ripe old age of 104. He got his start writing music for Blanding's
                                early musical shows.

                                You can get the book online from Barnes & Noble:

                                FROM A JOYFUL HEART; The life and music of R. Alexander Anderson
                                by Scott C.S. Stone, 2001 Island Heritage Publishing
                                ISBN#: 0-89610-429-X

                                or from the publisher: www.islandheritage.com

                                ~Keith
                              • MauiBandB@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 2, 2002
                                  thanks keith.

                                  I know that Blanding had a great influence on Alex Andersons lyrics.
                                  Especially AA favorite Haole Hula. I think Don helped him write it although
                                  he is not credited.

                                  aloha
                                  Maui Tom