[aloha-donblanding] Re: aloha-donblanding digest

  • JoAnna Koskinen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
      Hello Curt,

      Just curious about your last name which I happen to share. Are you a
      distant relation to DB as well as someone who appreciates his works?
      I'd like to know a little more about you if you don't mind. There's a
      book on the Blanding name and I'm interesting in finding out where the
      different lineages lead to. My email address is: jmkoskinen@....

      Thanks,

      JoAnna Blanding-Koskinen
    • RBHutchins@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2000
        In a message dated 2/4/100 1:28:07 PM EST, aloha-donblanding@egroups.com
        writes:

        << (Blue
        Coral Reef was DB's set of everyday dishes...he would be astonished at
        how precious they are to collectors!) >>

        Hi, Cadia. . . .

        Responding to an *old* post of yours. . . .I'm wondering how this particular
        bit of intelligence came to your attention. . . .I don't suppose you have any
        idea what happened to Blanding's Coral Reef set? or whether he used any of
        his dinnerware patterns in addition to the Coral Reef?

        -Bob
      • Jakable@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2000
          Wow indeed.

          I am not surpirse that Don would have been gay or bisexual, but that does not
          diminish one whit his talent, the beauty of his poetry or his insignful
          observations about Hawaii, California, Florida and Oregon.

          TJ, I think you should see if the Monterey Herald has a place for an article
          about Don. It circulates up and down the coast, including Carmel, Big Sur
          and other points where there may be bits and pieces of Don Blanding
          knowledge. It has the advantage of being owned by Knight Rider, which also
          owns the Mercury News and Contra Costa Times in the Bay Area. Stories are
          sometimes shared via a common wire service in the company. And this might
          include the Seattle Times, which is partly owned by Knight Rider.
          But certainly try the Pine Cone and the inflight magazines. Photos or copies
          of drawing would help such articles if we could fine some to submit.

          I can contribute little to this group in the way of undiscoverd material
          about Don Blanding, but I would be willing to edit any potential articles,
          since that is what I do for a living.

          And herein end my 2 cents worth for the day.
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2000
            Hi, Bob...

            Thanks for checking in! Actually, when I met Charles Lovell and his
            wife in 1992, they gave me a phone number for Dorothy's granddaughter,
            Sally Putnam Chapman. At that time, Sally had what was left of the set
            and was looking for more pieces. Since I also collected Coral Reef, I
            did not have any to sell her.

            It's pretty well known that DB's favorite color was blue, and those
            "angel" fish show up frequently in his work. Make sense?

            I don't have my copy of her book "Whistled Like a Bird" handy, but I
            think Sally mentions the dishes. I gather that DB and Dorothy used
            Coral Reef at their home in Florida.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2000
              tj says, DB also published in the Monterey local newspaper according to my
              Carmel sources. They were going to try to located a name for me. This is
              good info to pursue...
            • Jakable@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2000
                Count me in for a copy. I could retrive it myself since we live so close
                together.
              • Jakable@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 17, 2000
                  So are any of us attorneys?
                  A good lawyer would be useful right now, but I strongly favor the idea of a
                  foundation dedicated to the preservation of the art and memory of Don
                  Blanding with the idea that we might even offer a schoalrship for aspiring
                  poets at some point.
                  I think foundaitons can tap into other foundations for grants in specific
                  areas.
                  Dues are good, so are donations.