The Benbough Collection

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2000
      Aloha,
      Spent 4 hour at the San Diego Historical Society yesterday. They are not
      open on Wed., so I didn't go down until Thurs. Well, I now know allot about
      Percy Benbough as Fire Chief and Mayor but nothing new about DB. Percy was
      mayor from 1935-42 when he died in a plane crash in San Diego, he may have
      been the piolet. He was involved with the building of Balboa Park and was
      there when Pres. Roosevelt came for the Worlds Fair (?). He and wife Grace
      hosted many social events, and that is what in the 10 boxes of things I
      looked at. A lot of political news clippings.

      Percy Benbough, was the oldest son and died in t932. He was very social
      and athletic. Raced speed boats. Don't know how he died. Right age for DB
      to have met in Hawaii....active and social.

      Legler, 1909-1998. Also very energetic, athletic and social from the
      little written on him. There was a picture of him in a JG's uniform in 1941
      and another (undated) of him in a LCDR uniform from the USS Kadahan Bay as a
      Assistant Air Officer. The rest of his live was spent as a single man,
      running the family mortuary, having a great social life. Entertaining at
      his La Jolla House or his Rancho Sante Fe hideaway. No mention of Descanso.
      However, there was a picture of a cabin and on the back MT.
      CABIN--DESCANSO,CA.......will post as soon as I get the scanner working of
      Hal gets back to help me.
      Bev.

      Oh..there was an interesting article in the Country Home, April 1990, on
      Legler's Rancho Sante Fe house.