Lenore Ulrich 2

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2000
      Bought another Lenore Ulrich sheet music piece from 'Bird of Paradise'
      tonight on ebay.

      This one is entitled "One, Two, Three, Four", and has the same photos
      of Ulrich on the cover as the "Aloha Oe" one.

      I called the Kansas City public library on monday, and spoke to
      someone at the reference desk. They checked the index to the local
      papers and found no reference to Lenore Ulrich or Bird of Paradise
      (not surprising...newspaper indexes are fairly unreliable).

      He did give me the name and details of a local historian who
      specializes in theatre. I contacted her, and she's going to search
      microfilm for the three Kansas City newspapers for 1914-16. I sent
      her a check for $37.50 this morning to cover her costs. I hope she
      comes up with something...the true date of Don's arrival in Hawaii
      has been nagging at me since the beginning of my research.

      On another subject...I also spoke to a woman at the University of
      Wyoming on monday. She said it would not be possible to obtain
      negatives for the 24 Blanding/Jean London photos from their
      collection. The issue is copyright law. The University holds
      copyrights on these photos, and to give us negs would be a breach of
      copyright law. Since it will cost us $300-400 to make negatives and
      just one set of prints...I'm going back to the idea of getting scans
      at $5.00 each, and then if someone wants a copy of a particular
      photo, they can contact the University direct. High quality scans
      will work fine for me, as I have a very high-tech printer at work
      that prints out very nicely.

      Tell me what you all think.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2000
        Keith,

        I guess scans are the way to go for now. Are you saying that if we
        later wanted actual prints (enlargements or same size?) of specific
        images, the University would be able to supply them?

        As for Lenore Ulrich --

        I searched the Kansas City Times for November-December 1915. Nothing.
        Since the production that year took place October 24-30, I have
        requested the microfilm for October 1915.

        On March 15, I searched the Kansas City Journal (October, November
        and December 1915), where I came up with ads/article for the 1915
        production starring Carlotta Monterey. See my message #625.

        ~~Cadia
      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2000
          Cadia,

          What I'm saying is that once everyone has a set of the scans, that
          individual can pick and choose what photo or photos they want copies
          of and yes, the college can make a negative and then a print. If more
          than one of us want the same print, we can split that negatives' cost.

          Some of the photos are not even that great, and a few are common ones
          that I think some of us already have prints of.

          Yes, I have a print-out of your previous 'Bird of Paradise' searches
          in the Kansas City newspapers...I just figured she could look in all
          three KC papers in all years in question...and come what may. I want
          to settle this once and for all.