A DB photo find - need money to accept by NOON 6/25

    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 24, 2000
      Hi, all...

      Great sleuthing, Keith and Bev! And thanks to all who've added bits
      and pieces to this long,long chain of notes and pix. Good news:
      today Bob installed my scanner...now I just have to figure out how to
      use it!

      Keith, based on previous participation, I think we can split the cost
      of scans among 10-12 people or more and keep the cost down. There
      are over 50 people on this list....

      I used to get b&w copy negs made for about $5 each or less...has the
      cost gone up that much in 10 years? Is there any way the University
      would allow the 24 photos to go to a commercial lab nearby to have
      negs made at a cost comparable to just scans? What kind of quality
      control in either case?

      If the scans can be guaranteed sharp and useable both online and as
      prints, then let's go for it.

      Now, I have a request of my own to make. Today at a postcard show I
      came across a photography studio's portfolio album -- the kind that
      pro photographers use to show their work to customers. Most of the
      b&w 11" x 14" photos are wedding pix, babies and children. BUT, in
      the back of the album are two glorious portraits of Don Blanding!
      These are matinee-idol, to-die-for portraits!

      They are on facing pages. The left one is in profile, with a shadow
      profile, and on DB's hand is the lapis ring. Slightly gray hair
      slicked back, he wears a long-sleeved shirt and smokes a cigarette in
      a holder. This portrait is inscribed and dated 1950 in the upper
      right corner, to the photographer, to the effect that "I once really
      did look like this...."

      In the second portrait, Don wears suit and tie and looks directly at
      the camera, cigarette in hand ... a Lionel Barrymore type of pose.
      Those eyes!

      The studio was apparently in Hawaii; best guess is the portraits were
      made in late 1930s, probably not after 1941, long before Don put on
      weight and his profile lost that movie-star chiseling. The seller
      suggested that perhaps Don visited the studio in 1950, saw the book
      and signed on the spot, years after the shots were taken.

      I have first dibs on this portfolio....cost is $500 plus $43 tax.
      Right now, since every penny is going toward my trip to Denver next
      week, and Portland beyond, I can't manage such a purchase on my own.
      However, I have til NOON tomorrow, Sunday June 25, to accept or
      decline; the seller is one of my favorite paper dealers who will
      accept a post-dated check (a couple weeks or so). He and I both know
      he could realize over $1000 for this book, solely because of the
      Blanding portraits. Trust me on this.

      It would be a real shame to let these photos get away. Can I get 10-
      12 or more of you to come up with $40-50 each to secure the purchase?
      (Or more of you for less? Then, once I have the book I can arrange
      professional copy negs and studio-quality copies for each of
      the "investors" in return. Or, consider it a temporary loan to
      obtain the book which I would repay when I'm financially stable again.

      I'd also donate sets of copies to both the Carmel folks and to the
      museum in Lawton. The originals must remain in the portfolio and are
      too large to scan; but a smaller print could be easily scanned to
      place in our online files.

      TJ, copies would be available for the September show. Keith, if you
      think I went ga-ga over the "To FK" photo I bought from you, wait'll
      you see these portraits!

      Please e-mail me or post a note here. I need to call the seller (he
      gave me his cell phone number) by NOON tomorrow!

      Thanks,

      ~~Cadia
    • bevleinbac
      Message 59 of 59 , Apr 6, 2014
        Tom,
        Mahalo for sharing your photos with us.  What a great experience. It is so beautiful there and DB's art is still a wonderful as in the past.