[aloha-donblanding] and I thought I was the only one!

  • Tom Harrington
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 27, 2000
      Thank you Cadia for the effort it took to bring all of us DB fans together.  For many, many years our family thought we were the only fans of DB.  My grandmother lived in Bakersfield, CA and used to listen to him doing his readings on the radio.  At one point during the 40's he came to Bakersfield and did some readings for a local women's club.  My grandmother attended and purchased an autographed copy of Vagabond's House.  I can remember as a small child listening to her read me the VH poem from that book.  I used to love to hear it - not so much that I understood anything she was reading to me at the time, but I loved the rhythm and cadence that the words made.  It was years before I could truly appreciate what the poems actually said.  Now I have become a DB hound and search where ever I go looking for books.  I am about half way through the list, so would greatly appreciate picking up a few more from some of you that may have extras for sale.

      I too have read with great interest all that you all have to share on your knowledge of DB.  I found that reading Whistled Like a Bird (thanks for recommending it Cadia, when you corresponded to me last year) helped answer a few questions I had.  But a few remain - I assume that he only married once - and that was to Dorothy.  He never had children?  Did he feel fatherly toward her children and did he maintain a relationship with them?  Where is he buried?  Did he get much mention in the press when he died or was it rather passed over like other "has been" celebrities?

      Thanks again - it amazes me how many other fans there are out there.  Who'd a thunk?

      Gayle
    • TikiRoom18@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 27, 2000

        << Where is he buried? >>

        I had always assumed, through various poems Don had written that he would
        have been cremated and the ashes scattered.. Is this what happened? Where
        were his ashes scattered if anyone knows? Thanks for asking this interesting
        question and getting me to wondering about this again

        Aloha
        larry
      • haven putnam
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 27, 2000
          Hi Larry:
          According to Dons obituary in the Honolulu Advertiser, his ashes were
          scattered over Waikiki.

          >From: TikiRoom18@...
          >To: aloha-donblanding@egroups.com
          >Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Re: and I thought I was the only one!
          >Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:08:55 EST

          ><< Where is he buried? >>
          >

          >I had always assumed, through various poems Don had written that he would
          >have been cremated and the ashes scattered.. Is this what happened? Where
          >were his ashes scattered if anyone knows? Thanks for asking this
          >interesting
          >question and getting me to wondering about this again
          >
          >Aloha
          >larry

          >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
          >as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
          >Apply NOW!

          >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=aloha-donblanding&m=1

        • Keith Emmons
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 27, 2000
            But a few (questions) remain - I assume that he only married once - and
            that was to Dorothy. He never had children? Did he feel fatherly
            toward her children and did he maintain a relationship with them?
            Where is he buried? Did he get much mention in the press when he died
            or was it rather passed over like other "has been" celebrities?
            ~Gayle

            Hello Gayle,
            Don Blanding was only married once, and never had any children of his
            own.
            He died in Hollywood, and as he requested, was cremated and his ashes
            were scattered over the waters of Waikiki, in a stirring ceremony.
            There was a private service in Hollywood as well. The Church of
            Religious Science, which Blanding was affiliated with, held services
            for Blanding in several hundred churches all over the country. His
            parents are also buried in Hawaii.

            A June 14, 1957 article in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, states that The
            Friends of the Library of Hawaii inherited his estate, as he had no
            heirs of his own, other than a couple of distant cousins living in New
            York.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 27, 2000
              Hi, Gayle and Tom...

              Used to be I had Don Blanding all to myself... Of course, with the
              advent of the internet and the influence of Jimmy Buffett (Floridays),
              a lot of people have jumped onto the bandwagon!

              Don Blanding did do some radio work in Los Angeles (and perhaps in
              Hawaii, too). The Cruise of the Spun-Glass Ship (and its story)
              details a true story of little Jimmy and his "travels" by way of Don's
              show.

              Dave Ballard told me once that his and DB's paths crossed when they
              were both working in radio in LA, probably in post-war years. As noted
              on other posts here, other late-night announcers developed programs of
              prose and poetry...often, I think, to fill dead-air time.

              Dave Ballard was a dear friend of mine for over 17 years; his birthday
              was May 1, which is Lei Day in Hawaii. Dave passed away February 1,
              1982...for more than a year I could not bear to open one of Blanding's
              books nor listen to any of the 150+ hours of Dave's programs that I
              taped in the 1970s. Finally, in 1983 I borrowed a few of Dave's
              narrations to use on my Sunday afternoon radio show. I don't recall
              now if I used any of Blanding's verse, but I probably did. The
              programs were received quite well, which is fortunate because my
              Program Director was not exactly thrilled with my ideas!

              In my collection I have a very fragile open-reel tape that Dave Ballard
              made for me in 1965 -- Vagabond's House and ...the Spun Glass Ship.
              Though I have other readings of these two pieces, this version is still
              my favorite. You see, I'd listened to Dave for several years (he was
              the station's chief announcer) and in 1963 I developed a close
              friendship with the overnight announcer. Let's just say that I spent
              an awful lot of time at the station in the middle of the night...and
              not exactly with the approval of station management! So, it took a
              large measure of courage to call Dave (whom I'd never met), ask if he'd
              make a recording for me, and then walk into the studios knowing full
              well that someone might recognize me! Actually, I found out later that
              the station owner did realize I was the "after-hours ghost" of KIXI,
              but he was kind enough not to say anything! Once I became Dave's "lady
              friend," I had the run of the place! Ladies, every had the pleasure of
              having a really sexy male voice call to wake you up in the morning?
              For years, I never even owned an alarm clock! Rowdy Duchess...oh yeah!

              After I get back from San Antonio in mid-February, I will seek out
              someone to make cassette copies of my 1965 tape as inexpensively as
              possible and make them available to the group. Wish I could offer to do
              it free, but I just don't have the equipment to handle open-reel tapes.

              I also have Dave's 1971 all-Blanding program on cassette; he rarely
              made a program without Blanding on it!

              Also, Dave made 4 LP's based on his Reflections program, which include
              Blanding material.

              I have a copy of Don Blanding's obit...will try to locate it in the
              next day or so and post it here.

              Enough for now...

              ~~Cadia
            • TikiRoom18@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 27, 2000

                << Hi Larry:
                According to Dons obituary in the Honolulu Advertiser, his ashes were
                scattered over Waikiki.

                Haven...
                Thanks for the info....can I ask a favor? Would it be possible, if it's not
                too long to transcribe for us, one day, the text of the obituary? Ive always
                wanted to read what the Hawaii papers had to say when he passed away...
                thanks again!

                Aloha
                larry
              • Mary Repass-Friend
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 27, 2000
                  I own one 1948 edition of Memory Room that poses to me a mystery. I
                  wonder who the previous owner was and what Don Blanding meant to them. The
                  previous owner taped a photo and three newspaper clippings inside the front
                  leaf.

                  On the left leaf is taped a photo of Don Blanding. My guess is it was a
                  photo taken by the book owner. I'd also guess this was taken somewhere in
                  his later years. He has a big cigar in his right hand, smiling he has the
                  appearance of showing off his now larger size tummy. The photo is not a
                  copy. It looks like the type taken in the 1950 personal cameras with a
                  little zig zag around the edges.

                  There are three newspaper clippings on the opposite page and read:

                  First clipping:
                  Don Blanding is another poet who couldn't resist the purple pose when it
                  came to describing San Francisco. He called it among other things "the
                  raffish Duchess with a stevedore lover" --a line any poet could be proud
                  of. Edgar Guest for one.

                  Second clipping:
                  AN EPITAPH:
                  "Do not write on stone or wood
                  I was honest or I was good.
                  Write in smoke on a passing breeze
                  Seven words and the words are these,
                  Telling all that a volume could:
                  I lived, I laughed and I understood"
                  -Don Blanding

                  third clipping:
                  DON BLANDING,
                  AUTHOR, DIES (in someones handwriting, "1957")

                  LOS ANGELES, June 9 -
                  Don Blanding, author, poet, illustrator and lecturer, died today of a heart
                  attach in Los Angeles.

                  The 62 year old author was an authority on Hawaii and written 17 books in
                  his lifetime.

                  The tape is yellowed and tries to destroy the once clear letters of the
                  clippings and the once cleaner book, and I treasure this addition to the
                  book. It says volumes as does many of DBs two liners.

                  Mary R-F

                  According to Dons obituary in the Honolulu Advertiser, his ashes
                  were
                  scattered over Waikiki.

                  Haven...
                  Thanks for the info....can I ask a favor? Would it be possible, if it's not
                  too long to transcribe for us, one day, the text of the obituary? Ive always
                  wanted to read what the Hawaii papers had to say when he passed away...
                  thanks again!

                  Aloha
                  larry

                  Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
                  Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
                  no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
                  you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/914/2/_/286501/_/949028272/

                  -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=aloha-donblanding&m=1
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 28, 2000
                    I would assume that your Memory room book is not inscribed to anyone by DB??
                    You have a nice find.....
                  • Bill McMurray
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 28, 2000
                      To Mary RF,
                      I'm surprised your posting about the photo and clippings did not illicite
                      more comment from this otherwise very animated group. I for one found it
                      very interesting. I think you are in possession of a treasure. Just thought
                      I'd mention it.
                      Bill

                      ----------

                    • Keith Emmons
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 28, 2000
                        Mary,

                        I'm also impressed with your very special edition of Memory Room.
                        Sounds like quite the treasure. Do you have access to a scanner, or
                        know someone who does. I would love a copy of the "potbellied-poet" for
                        my collection... and for the vault on this web site as well.

                        I've uploaded another photo to the vault, one that I received in the
                        mail from Hawaii today. Although it is of poor quality (a photocopy), I
                        thought it significant enough to post anyway. It was taken of DB in
                        December of 1922, when he was 28 years old. It appeared in the
                        publication 'Paradise of the Pacific' in January of 1923, as well as
                        September, 1925. I believe it to be of the same photo-shoot as the
                        'Blue Lagoon' photo which appears in the front of 'Hula Moons' in 1930.
                        He is wearing the same outfit, and looks to be the same age. I always
                        thought he looked to young in the Blue Lagoon picture to be
                        36-years-old. Both pictures were taken by Max Long, who had various
                        photos published in local periodicals in the 20's and 30's. He may have
                        been a staff photographer for the Star-Bulletin... I'm not sure.

                        Max Long's story is interesting in itself. He arrived in Hawaii in 1917
                        and taught in a school by the active volcano Kileauea. He studied the
                        Hawaiian customs and religious practices. In the late 30's and early
                        40's he published some mysteries, all using Hawaii as their backdrop.
                        Then in the mid-forties, after changing his middle name to 'Freedom',
                        he started Huna, which is a way of thinking based on the spiritual
                        powers of the ancient Kahunas. His belief system was (and still is)
                        very controversial, involving hypnosis,
                        and the power of miracles. He wrote dozens of books on the subject,
                        some of which can be found on the online book-searches. The Huna
                        Society is still in existence today.

                        Max Freedom Long (1890-1971)

                        Have a good weekend everyone ...Keith

                        "mary repass-friend" <jmfrien-@...> wrote:
                        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/aloha-donblanding/?start=
                        140
                        > I own one 1948 edition of Memory Room that poses to me a mystery. I
                        > wonder who the previous owner was and what Don Blanding meant to
                        them. The
                        > previous owner taped a photo and three newspaper clippings inside
                        the front
                        > leaf.
                      • Mary Repass-Friend
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 28, 2000
                          Kieth and group,

                          Yes, I have a scanner and will be delighted to make available the picture of
                          the "potbellied Poet" to anyone who would like it. I have one problem that
                          will delay that a couple of days. I just moved my across the room and guess
                          what? Can't find the power cord to my scanner? !#$@
                          HUH.... I love this computer age we live in. There must be a million cords
                          under my desk and I'm still missing ONE!
                          Never fear, though, I'll get this fixed and soon, can't live without my
                          scanner for long.
                          I'll let you know when I can make the photo available and anything else the
                          group may like.
                          Also, thanks Bill M for a location on a picture, it is nice to put a face
                          with the nice words on the screen! Looks like you are having a lot of fun!
                          The only place you might find a picture of me is on ebay, clicking on the
                          "me" icon after the ids. Sometimes I'm a seller, (enough to make room for
                          junk I bring home,) mostly I find myself buying.... Haven't done much of
                          either in a while. My id is "Repassheir".
                          Aloha friends,
                          Mary

                          Mary

                          I'm also impressed with your very special edition of Memory Room.
                          Sounds like quite the treasure. Do you have access to a scanner, or
                          know someone who does. I would love a copy of the "potbellied-poet" for
                          my collection... and for the vault on this web site as well.

                          I've uploaded another photo to the vault, one that I received in the
                          mail from Hawaii today. Although it is of poor quality (a photocopy), I
                          thought it significant enough to post anyway. It was taken of DB in
                          December of 1922, when he was 28 years old. It appeared in the
                          publication 'Paradise of the Pacific' in January of 1923, as well as
                          September, 1925. I believe it to be of the same photo-shoot as the
                          'Blue Lagoon' photo which appears in the front of 'Hula Moons' in 1930.
                          He is wearing the same outfit, and looks to be the same age. I always
                          thought he looked to young in the Blue Lagoon picture to be
                          36-years-old. Both pictures were taken by Max Long, who had various
                          photos published in local periodicals in the 20's and 30's. He may have
                          been a staff photographer for the Star-Bulletin... I'm not sure.

                          Max Long's story is interesting in itself. He arrived in Hawaii in 1917
                          and taught in a school by the active volcano Kileauea. He studied the
                          Hawaiian customs and religious practices. In the late 30's and early
                          40's he published some mysteries, all using Hawaii as their backdrop.
                          Then in the mid-forties, after changing his middle name to 'Freedom',
                          he started Huna, which is a way of thinking based on the spiritual
                          powers of the ancient Kahunas. His belief system was (and still is)
                          very controversial, involving hypnosis,
                          and the power of miracles. He wrote dozens of books on the subject,
                          some of which can be found on the online book-searches. The Huna
                          Society is still in existence today.

                          Max Freedom Long (1890-1971)

                          Have a good weekend everyone ...Keith

                          "mary repass-friend" <jmfrien-@...> wrote:
                          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/aloha-donblanding/?start=
                          140
                          > I own one 1948 edition of Memory Room that poses to me a mystery. I
                          > wonder who the previous owner was and what Don Blanding meant to
                          them. The
                          > previous owner taped a photo and three newspaper clippings inside
                          the front
                          > leaf.

                          GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
                          Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
                          http://click.egroups.com/1/911/2/_/286501/_/949118706/

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 29, 2000
                            Looked again just to make sure, but my Memory Room does not have any
                            inscription, owner or otherwise..... darn!

                            Mary R-F

                            I would assume that your Memory room book is not inscribed to anyone by DB??
                            You have a nice find.....

                            Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
                            0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
                            http://click.egroups.com/1/966/2/_/286501/_/949073084/

                            -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/aloha-donblanding/?m=1