[aloha-donblanding] Readings of DB

  • Bill McMurray
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
      Hi Gang!
      Greetings from the land of snow! With some 15 inches of it outside my door
      right now, it's nice to be able to read about you folks in Hawaii ,
      Carmel-by-the-Sea and all those other far off places DB wrote about.
      Although I have not posted before I want you to know I have been following
      the "conversation" from the beginning with much interest. Thank you ,
      Cadia, for the invitation to join this group. Thanks too to Larry and TJ
      (Tom) and all the rest of you for the very interesting discussion you have
      going about Don Blanding. I have not contributed before simply because I
      do not have any independently discovered tidbits about DB that could add to
      the aggregate knowledge.
      In a message that I left when I signed the guestbook at the "My Glass
      Duchess" site I told you that I had first heard of DB back in the late 60s
      when Paul Reid used to read Vagabond's House on the radio in Montreal. For
      many years that was the only DB poem I knew, or knew of. In the early 80s,
      with his health failing, Paul told us he intended to add other DB poems to
      his broadcast repertoire (he of course had many other poets in his bag). I
      did hear him once recite a poem about the color Blue by Don, but only once
      and unfortuneatly,I was not recording that program. Shortly after that Paul
      lost his battle with throat cancer.
      I could never find any DB books in the public libraries in and around
      Montreal so you can imagine how elated I was when, on a trip to Toronto, on
      the computer in their main public library, I discovered that they had five
      titles listed. I copied out the list with the catalogue numbers, asked
      directions to get to the proper section, took the elevator up four floors
      and presented my list to the librarian. She read the list, looks at me, and
      SHE asks ME, "How come those are still on the computer?"
      I won't go into detail about the discussion that ensued, but eventually
      she condescended to go back in the racks and she came back with a copy of
      Floridays. In a culling of inventory, all other DB books had been removed
      because of lack of demand, and Floridays would join them in oblivion once I
      returned it. It could not be removed from the reading room, and "No, it was
      not for sale". I spent an hour or so reading, I copied out The Tranquil
      Hour, and left the building thoroughly confused about life in general and
      bureaucracy in particular. This was in 1987.
      I suppose by now a lot of you are thankful I'm not posting as often as
      Larry and TJ but bear with me a little, I'll get through this and then
      "Forever hold my peace". (Well perhaps not forever but maybe for a month or
      so).
      A couple of questions! It seems to me that sometime in the past month
      someone posted a message to the effect that there was a site that paid
      tribute to Franklyn McCormack, a man who had a program in Seattle similar
      to Paul Reid's in Montreal. I didn't have time to check out that site at
      the time and now I can't find the reference. Can anyone help me?
      Also, there was mention of group gatherings in Hawaii and evenings of DB
      readings. Alas, Hawaii is out of my budget but how about readings via Real
      Audio or a tape exchange?

      OK! That's it for now from Victoriaville, Quebec.

      Aloha! Bill McMurray
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
        From tj, I'm complaining because a little rain interupted my golf game last
        weekend, and you sit with 15 inches of snow......Thanks for chiming in as you
        did, I actually know little of DB's radio ventures and the number of radio
        personalities that read his poetry. As you have seen, there is a smattering
        of references in different city's accross the country that hosted readings
        and or that DB worked at. Keep in touch with me, as I am researching the
        best/cheapest way to get my 3 record album that DB narrated on tape or CD. I
        am very busy at work right now (its budget configuration time for me) and I
        will be swamped thru the end of Feb., then I can hopefully get back on
        bandwagon and help out with further information....right now I'm reading and
        learning as everyone is.....I have a lot of extra DB books that I have
        collected for various reasons. I have upgraded most to 1st editions and as
        such, have the extra's that I have collected over the 25-30 years. I can
        catalogue them for you and email you a personal list of my extra's if you
        would like to purchase them at a reasonable price. I also think that others
        on this site have extra books like I do. I have been giving some to my
        granddaughter (age 16) and she has been practicing her artwork and really
        likes DB's work. As it turns out she is quite talented and has a really good
        copy of DB when she applies herself....off to work.....
      • Bill McMurray
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
          Thanks TJ
          I have a signed copy of Vagabond's House (though not a first edition), an
          unsigned copy of same which I have given to my son, an unsigned copy of The
          Rest Of The Road and I recently acquired a first edition of Songs Of The
          Seven Senses. Alas, it is not signed.
          One of my hobbies is making up tapes of 'radio programs' in which I am the
          host, narrator, dj, engineer etc. etc. I have done a couple on DBs work
          and am toying with the idea of having a professional sound engineer bring
          one up to broadcast standard and putting it up on the site. As it is I give
          these tapes to friends and family from time to time. Other hobbies include
          acoustic country (old time) music and oil painting.
          Bill McM

          ----------
          > From: TJMarkle@...
          > To: aloha-donblanding@egroups.com
          > Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Readings of DB
          > Date: Thursday, January 27, 2000 11:13 AM
          >
          > >From tj, I'm complaining because a little rain interupted my golf game
          last
          > weekend, and you sit with 15 inches of snow......Thanks for chiming in as
          you
          > did, I actually know little of DB's radio ventures and the number of
          radio
          > personalities that read his poetry. As you have seen, there is a
          smattering
          > of references in different city's accross the country that hosted
          readings
          > and or that DB worked at. Keep in touch with me, as I am researching the

          > best/cheapest way to get my 3 record album that DB narrated on tape or
          CD. I
          > am very busy at work right now (its budget configuration time for me) and
          > will be swamped thru the end of Feb., then I can hopefully get back on
          > bandwagon and help out with further information....right now I'm reading
          and
          > learning as everyone is.....I have a lot of extra DB books that I have
          > collected for various reasons. I have upgraded most to 1st editions and
          as
          > such, have the extra's that I have collected over the 25-30 years. I can

          > catalogue them for you and email you a personal list of my extra's if you

          > would like to purchase them at a reasonable price. I also think that
          others
          > on this site have extra books like I do. I have been giving some to my
          > granddaughter (age 16) and she has been practicing her artwork and really

          > likes DB's work. As it turns out she is quite talented and has a really
          good
          > copy of DB when she applies herself....off to work.....

          > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
          > 0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
          > hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/aloha-donblanding/?m=1

        • Beverly Leinbach
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
            Aloha Bill,

            I don't recall a Franklyn McCormack, but Dave Ballard use to read DB over
            the radio in Seattle in the 60-70's on a program called Reflections. He
            introduced me to DB. Cadia knew him personally. We both have copies of his
            program and still enjoy listening to them.
            Bev.

            From: "Bill McMurray" <billmcm@...>
            To: <aloha-donblanding@...>
            Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Readings of DB
            Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:04:19 -0500

[...]
            and unfortunately,I was not recording that program. Shortly after that Paul
[...]

            Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! Rates as low as 2.9%
            Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
            no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the
            credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
            http://click.egroups.com/1/913/2/_/286501/_/948988879/

            -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=aloha-donblanding&m=1

          • TikiRoom18@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
              Aloha Bill

              Thank you so much for your wonderful post! I always enjoy reading about how
              others came to find out about Don and his work. I first came across Don's
              books in an antique shop in Hawaii, but, like you, it was a public library
              that added to my knowledge. Luckily, the Hilo Public Library had most of
              Don's books that dealt more directly with Hawaii.
              Don't say that you will rarely post... You are such a good "post-er_ that it
              would bve a shame if that happened. Ask questions, maybe share favorite
              poems... share of yourself here, you DO have something to contribute!

              Aloha
              larry
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2000
                Bill and Bev...

                Go to my website at

                http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess

                then to the blanding Bib page....you'll find a link to the page on
                Franklyn McCormack. When you find it, go ahead and add to the links
                page on this site.

                Thanks!

                ~~Cadia
              • haven putnam