Re: [aloha-donblanding] DB columns on Ebay

  • pgbusi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2000
      Jake:
      As you know Blanding died on June 9, 1957. What media were the columns in
      from 56 to 57? I'd be interested in joining to bid if I knew more about them.
      Aloha, Dean
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2000
        Jake,

        My thoughts exactly! I shivered when I saw the listing, and hoped we
        would not be battling each other to get the material. Of course, we
        can't control everyone on the list or off, and the reserve may be
        astronomical, but...we simply have to get these columns and then
        share them. In the auction description there's a suggestion that
        they could be acquired and then published. A very worthwhile project!

        Dean, the columns were submitted to the Honolulu newspapers (probably
        the Advertiser). What's being offered is copies from microfilm that
        are supposedly clear enough to be photocopied and possibly scanned
        (OCR, not JPG images). The auction title says "unpublished" but the
        description goes on to say that the columns were submitted weekly,
        and were actually published ONE TIME, and that several were published
        posthumously in 1957.

        The seller indicates that this collection was acquired from newspaper
        files that are not accessible to the public. But, once something is
        published, I would think that a microfilm should be available in a
        local library. Very confusing description, and I am e-mailing the
        seller to get clarification on several points.

        What's important is not to bid early -- that only drives the price
        up. Figuring out the reserve may be difficult, but let me see what
        information I can extract from the seller.

        In any case, count me in!

        ~~Cadia
      • Beverly Leinbach
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2000