New York Studio

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2000
      Hello All,

      The 'Vagabond's House Studio' in New York City..."In the shadow of
      the Empire State Building"...was at 145 E. 40th Street. I obtained a
      copy of Don's telephone directory listing from 1930, and that's what
      was listed, along with the phone number: LEXington 1192.

      Helen Temelkovski, a librarian at the New York City Public Library,
      looked it up for me, and made a photocopy. The building address
      doesn't exist any more, and Helen went to look...there's an office
      building in it's place now.

      This info cost me $60.00 (the previously referred to high cost of
      research) but I feel it was worth it. One more little mystery solved.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2000
        Keith,

        Thanks....I knew it was on East 40th St., but could not remember the
        number or find the slip of paper I wrote it on. So much for my
        filing system! Nice to have the phone number as a "bonus."

        Reminds me to double-check what city directories and old phone
        directories are housed at the Seattle library. I know they used to
        have them for the major cities, but perhaps no longer.

        The address was just 4 blocks from my apartment on East 36th St., in
        the Murray Hill district. Wish I'd known about it when I lived in
        Manhattan in the mid-1960s. I probably passed by that location
        hundreds of times on my way to work near the United Nations. Oh,
        well...