[aloha-donblanding] IMDb: Bird of Paradise (1932)

  • portofhaven@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2000
      An Internet Movie Database (www.IMDb.com) page has been sent to you by:
      portofhaven@....
      Comment from the sender:
      This is the movie that inspired Don to head for Hawaii, thought you'd be interested in this info at IMDb.com.
      Enjoy!

      Bird of Paradise (1932)

      Directed by

      King Vidor

      Writing credits

      Leonard Praskins
      Wells Root

      Genre: Romance

      User Rating: 5.5/10 (15 votes)
      Plot Outline: A native girl falls for a visitor to her island, but she's chosen to be sacrificed to the volcano god.

      Credited cast overview:

      Dolores del Rio .... Luana
      Joel McCrea .... Johnny Baker
      John Halliday (I) .... Mac
      Richard 'Skeets' Gallagher .... Chester
      Bert Roach .... Hector
      Lon Chaney Jr. .... Thornton
      Wade Boteler .... Skipper Johnson
      Arnold Gray .... Walker
      Reginald Simpson .... O'Fallon
      Napoleon Pukui .... The King
      Agostino Borgato .... Medicine man
      Sofia Ortega .... Mahumahu

      Runtime: USA 80
      Country: USA
      Language: English
      Color: Black and White
      Sound Mix: Mono

      To view the complete page online or view any of the 750,000 plus
      filmographies and 200,000 plus movie titles, please visit:
      http://us.imdb.com/Title?0022689

      Copyright Internet Movie Database (IMDb) 2000

      If you believe this page was sent to you maliciously, please forward this
      message to "send-abuse@..."
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 25, 2000
        Haven...thanks for the info Bird of Paradise (the movie) is nearly 20
        years after DB arrived in Hawaii. Does anyone know the date of the
        PLAY he saw in Kansas City? Has to be either 1914 or 1915...

        By the way, one use for the database feature on this site might be to
        create a DB time line...dates, places, events and documentation cited
        for each entry?

        Do I hear volunteers to set one up here?

        ~~C~~
      • Keith Emmons
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2000
          > Does anyone know the date of the
          > PLAY he saw in Kansas City (Birds of Paradise)?
          > Has to be either 1914 or 1915...
          >
          > By the way, one use for the database feature on this site might be to
          > create a DB time line...dates, places, events and documentation cited
          > for each entry?
          >
          > Do I hear volunteers to set one up here?
          >
          > ~~C~~

          Cadia,
          The play had to have been in 1915... which is when he finished his
          studies at Chicago Art Institute, and was travelling down from Nova
          Scotia. He would have been 21-years-old in that year as well, which is
          the age he went to Hawaii by most accounts. Reports of him going to
          Hawaii in 1914 are erroneous in my opinion.

          I would like to take on a time-line, if no one else objects. I actually
          already have one relatively completed... just have to fill in a few
          holes.
          Does anyone know what art school(s) Blanding attended in Europe?
          ...Keith