[aloha-donblanding] Blanding

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2000
      Thank you Cadia for providing, once again, a meeting ground for us
      Blanding fans, both old and new.
      Some interesting comments already. I agree with Tom, putting together
      a definative biography on a man as elusive as Blanding will take a
      collaborative effort by many people, and it's not really important who
      actually puts it out... as long as it's complete, factually accurate,
      and insightful enough to reveal the true nature of the man. I keep
      hearing about how Charles Lovell is just about to publish... I hope so,
      as he has apparently amassed quite a bit of research over the years.
      Time to share your toys Charlie!
      I will devulge all tid-bits that I can unearth. At the moment, I'm
      mainly working on creating a complete bibliography on the written works
      of Blanding, as I think that is equally important. It's painstaking
      work, as I have to go back through old issues of magazines and
      newspapers that I know he contributed to. My goal is to catalogue every
      poem he wrote, where it first appeared in print, and each of it's
      subsequent reprints. He "retreaded" many of his earlier poems, making
      small changes or sometimes just simply renaming them.
      To answer Larry's questions regarding Blanding, yes Don was involved
      with the Church of Religious Sciences, having joined them in 1949. He
      gave lectures in the Los Angeles Church, and also wrote monthly
      articles for Science of Mind magazine. He died of a heart attack in his
      Los Angeles home, while in the company of his secretary, Mrs. Edythe
      Genee, and several friends.
      Cadia, in one of your previous messages you were pondering over when
      Blanding had his Vagabond's House in Bend, Oregon. He lived there from
      around May or June of 1951, until September of 1952. He didn't write
      anything during this time, spending the time "chilling". He started his
      year-long Micronesian cruise on the MV Metromkin with friend Ted
      Narramore shortly after that, in which time he worked on Joy is an
      Inside Job.
      The only other item of interest I can think of is a thin booklet I'm
      borrowing via inter-library loan called O COUNTY FACES and PLACES... A
      collection of Cherokee Strip Photographs and Stories, compiled by Velma
      Troxel Jayne and Stella Campbell Rockwell in 1968. In it, there is a
      story entitled 1901 FIRE IN ENID
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2000
        Oops... had my last message cut short before I was done.

        As I was saying, O COUNTY FACES and PLACES; A Collection of Cherokee
        Strip, photographs and Stories, compiled in 1968 by Velma Troxel Jayne,
        and Stella Campbell Rockwell. One section is titled 1901 FIRE IN ENID -
        Don Blandings Prayer or Dynamite?

        It talks about six year old Don Blanding praying before his mother's
        bible to stop a raging fire which was working it's way down Grand
        Avenue towards his home. The townspeople decided to dynamite the St.
        Joe Hotel, which would have bridged the flames to adjacent buildings.
        It worked, but some mused it was Blanding's prayers which actually did
        the trick.

        Ida Kimble Blanding was also described in this small booklet as rather
        small and dainty, like Dresden China. The Blanding's daughter died just
        before she was to be married, and Ida ended up dying the wedding dress
        and wearing it herself. Years later Blanding would write of her in his
        poem 'Mother':
        'Dear frail Mother with your quiet hands
        A tired Dresden figure stifling a cry.'
        Donald's father, Judge Hugh Ross Blanding, who had a law practice in
        Enid at this time, apparently doted on his wife, waiting on her hand
        and foot.
      • TikiRoom18@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2000

          << At the moment, I'm
          mainly working on creating a complete bibliography on the written works
          of Blanding, as I think that is equally important. It's painstaking
          work, as I have to go back through old issues of magazines and
          newspapers that I know he contributed to. My goal is to catalogue every
          poem he wrote, where it first appeared in print, and each of it's
          subsequent reprints. He "retreaded" many of his earlier poems, making
          small changes or sometimes just simply renaming them. >>

          Has anyone spent time in the Honolulu newspaper archives, researching the
          2 years that Blanding spent in writing daily poems for Aji-no-moto? I would
          suppose this would be an very interesting place to research. I know the
          branch libraries in hawaii have all of this on microfilm but it would take a
          LOT of time to go through, day-by-day .Blanding himself has written that some
          of these poems were re-worked into his first 2 small books... I think it has
          already been discovered that somone who makes a living at writing sends his
          writing to whoever will pay sometimes, and it is difficult to try and track
          these down... did Blanding keep any records? Whatever happened to his estate?

          Aloha
          larry
        • Keith Emmons
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 18, 2000
            > Has anyone spent time in the Honolulu newspaper archives,
            researching the
            > 2 years that Blanding spent in writing daily poems for Aji-no-moto? I
            would
            > suppose this would be an very interesting place to research. I know
            the
            > branch libraries in hawaii have all of this on microfilm but it would
            take a
            > LOT of time to go through, day-by-day .Blanding himself has written
            that some
            > of these poems were re-worked into his first 2 small books... I think
            it has
            > already been discovered that somone who makes a living at writing
            sends his
            > writing to whoever will pay sometimes, and it is difficult to try and
            track
            > these down... did Blanding keep any records? Whatever happened to
            his estate?

            Alas, I haven't the budget at the moment to fly to Hawaii, but I have
            on order through inter-library loan those two years on microfilm, which
            I should be getting soon. It will take time, but a necessary endeavor.
            There may be poems that never made it into any of his volumes of verse,
            and could then be considered "lost" material. It would be great to put
            together a booklet of these particular poems. I believe his estate was
            willed to the Bishop museum.

            Keith
          • MauiBandB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 18, 2000
              I was told by Ron Jacobs a Honolulu Resident that his estate was left to the
              Friends of the Library of Hawai'i not the Bishop Museum. But in 1990 when we
              worked on the project the "Friends" didn't have a clue.
              Jacobs also collected all Blandings Columns (I don't know if they have
              Ajinomoto in them ha ha). He and I collaborated on a fortune cookie project
              for a Restaurant concept, using excerpts from Blandings columns and poems for
              fortunes. We dedicated to Blanding the restaurant called Hula Moons which is
              in its renaisance now at Outrigger Wailea Resort on Maui. The Restaurant has
              an extensive collection of Blanding Memorabilia, from prints, phonograph
              records, Aloha shirts, china and books.
              If you have any questions about Hula Moons Reataurant call Bill Boyd at 808
              879-1922.
              If you come to Maui stay at our Historic Bed and Breakfast Inn called the Old
              Wailuku Inn at Ulupono. The Inn built in 1924 has been renovated and retains
              the comfort and feel of that era with all the modern amenities. To capture
              the spirit of that era we themed the Inn around My Old Hawaiian Garden and
              use the verses from it and from his collaboration with TJ Mundorf to carry
              out the theme. Each room has authentic Hawaiian Quilt in the pattern of
              Blanding flower poem. The Mokihana room is sure to ...twine your heart...
              with memories while you live... and the Red hibiscus room .. with red ardent
              lips...The Landscape Architect used the poem in the Landscape concept. So
              the Yellow Allamanda grows in Gold Profusion on our walls, and Lonely gray
              palm tree creates shadows in the lily ponds... And everything grows together
              in unruly manner. There is a huge monkey pod tree with noisy mynah bird song
              in the morning. You can view our Inn at www.mauiinn.com. It will surely be
              any Blanding fans delight. We are featured on Travel Channel's Best Places
              to Kiss TV Maui in 2000 so watch for it.

              aloha
              Tom Fairbanks
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 18, 2000
                Keith & Tom

                My mom had a good friend name Joel Goldsmith who was a spiritual leader and
                prolific writer about his spiritual path called "The infinite Way." Joel
                accordingly to Mom was a good friend of Blanding and had significant
                influence on him. "Joy is an inside job" was written during the peak of this
                relationship. Just an aside maybe of help.

                aloha
                Tom
              • haven putnam
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 21, 2000
                  Aloha Tom
                  Do you have an e-mail address on Ron ?
                  MAHALO Haven Putnam

                • MauiBandB@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 21, 2000
                    I do not have an e mail address for Ron Jacobs but TJ Markle might he is in
                    this group

                    aloha
                    Tom