634[aloha-donblanding] Re: Non-profit foundation

  • Gerald Argetsinger
    Mar 17, 2000
      Bob --

      That is some of the BEST Blanding news I've heard in a long time! I had
      assumed that the copyrights had all lapsed, but I was not able to get
      the proof. You have gratefully done that.

      My understanding is, that if we do publish a book with our comments and
      such -- For example, our own version of the "Best of Don Blanding", the
      original material that we add in essay and commentary would be covered
      by the new copyright, BUT all of the Blanding works would still be in
      the public domain.

      I have actually done that. I translated a group of Danish plays that
      were published by Southern Illinois University Press. My book is
      copyrighted, but that only entails my introductory essay on the author,
      the essays introducing each play and my particular translation. Anyone
      can still use the original Danish material - or make their own
      translation without any legal problems and actually without my
      permission. I was also part of a similar project with Fairleigh
      Dickenson University Press when they published an entire series of plays
      whose copyrights had expired. The plays are still public domain, but
      our Original contributions are all copyrighted.

      As several of you know, the process to copyright material is actually
      quite simple. Last time I went through the process it was mostly a
      matter of waiting. I think it took about ten months -- BUT the process
      actually begins After the actual publication of the work, due to the
      fact that you must submit copies of the published work to the Library of
      Congress when you submit the copyright forms and check.

      For the original designs -- that Could get into Trademark law -- with
      which I have NO personal experience. But I imagine that the designs of
      his shirts and dishes have also gone into public domain for the same
      reasons that the poetry did. After DB's death there were no immediate
      heirs who could benefit financially, so the entire issue of rights faded
      with his memory.

      Jerry
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic