550[aloha-donblanding] Re: New Purchase Questions

  • Gerald Argetsinger
    Mar 6, 2000
      Gilan Menegat wrote:

      > I recently acquired a copy of The Virgin of Waikiki by DB that appears to be different from what is listed on the Don Blanding Bibliography Website. I was curious if anyone knows anything about this edition.
      >
      > It has a brown paper cover (leather-like look) and is tied together with a tassel. The publisher is David Graham Fischer Corporation, Hollywood, California, 1926. Any insights?
      >
      > GMM

      We have a 1933 edition in the Rare Book Collection here at RIT -- but is there because of a unique natural fiber binding. (I believe it is called Tapa Cloth) I always thought it must be a first edition -- so I
      was wrong there. NOTE - I just looked it up on the Web and the 1933 is listed as the "first edition pub in Hawaii - 100 copies bound in Tapa Cloth, issued commercially later that year in New York by H.M.
      Snyder. It looks as though you may have stumbled onto a privately printed edition that came out before it was "officially published" for commercial release.

      I do know that this "mild" torid love story was considered pretty "hot" in its day and was often sold under the counter along with such books as Dr. Suess's adult tale about the Six Lady Godiva's. Odd how times
      change. I don't think any of us would hesitate to share either of those two "naughty" stories with anyone these days!
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic