4718The Wolters Apts., Honolulu

  • Cadia
    Aug 4 12:55 AM
      Hello, all ...

      I have found the address of The Wolters Apts. where Don Blanding lived in 1917 and again in 1927.

      In fact, last summer I was standing pretty much in front of where the building once stood as I photographed the building where Ida and son James lived in 1924.

      The Wolters Building and The Wolters, furnished rooms, are both listed in the 1917-1918 Honolulu city directory at 1124 Union Street, Honolulu.
      The street is now a paved pedestrian path, more or less diagonally from South Hotel Street (between Fort and BIshop streets) to South Beretania Street near Alakea Street.

      I did not glean this information until the day AFTER I had photographed 1111 Union Street and did not have time to go back. When I am in Honolulu next week, I will retrace my steps. As I recall, the side of the street on which the The Wolters was located (ewa) is now mostly 1132 Bishop Street (a more prestigious and easily recognized street name), a large and very modern multi-story office building. Across Union Street and on the corner at Hotel Street stands a 2-story old building that easily predates 1924 (when Ida and James lived at 1111 Union Street). The only mystery now is why one Sanborn map shows the corner building as 1101 and another clearly labels it 1111.
      A visit to the assessor's office should help answer the question.

      The owner of The Wolters was William Wolters, real estate and resident agent for the Svea Fire Insurance Co. of Gothenburg, Sweden. His office is listed as being on Union near Hotel, Tel. 1812, P.O. Box 557, and his residence as 719 Spencer.

      I feel certain that this is the same W. H. F. Wolters whose large stamp collection was being sold, according to an item in the Star-Bulletin on September 6, 1927. Mr. Wolters apparently had died a few years earlier, having been a resident of Honolulu for about 25 years.

      Last August, I also photographed the corner of South King Street at Alakea, about half a block from 1041 Alakea Street where Helen Alexander's Laniakea once stood and where Blanding had a studio in 1917. It's just a few blocks (waikiki) from The Wolters.

      I was startled to see the name WOLTER on a small building at that intersection. It's not the same name, as it turns out, but for a moment I thought . . . could this be? The 1917-1918 city directory identifies Edward H. F. Wolter as having an office at the Occidental Hotel on King, corner Alakea. Evidently, his name ended up on the building's facade; today this old building houses a market-deli on the ground floor. On the other end of this block stands the Hawaiian Electric Company Building (900 Richards Street) and in between are two much smaller buildings, one of which housed the offices of the Hawaiian Gazette Company, publishers of the Pacific Commercial Advertiser (Later renamed Honolulu Advertiser); Blanding worked for Hawaiian Gazette in 1917 -- when he did the editorial page cartoons and other artwork in March-May 1917. All 4 buildings are old and look very much the same as they must have when DB arrived in Honolulu.

      So there you have it. I'll be taking more photos and will try to locate some early photos of both areas while I am in Honolulu .

      ~~Cadia