4709Re: Origins of Vagabond's House Poem

  • Keith
    Jul 25, 2012

      In the second edition of LEAVES FROM A GRASS HOUSE, "Vagabond's House" was replaced with "Aloha House." It's my theory that Don decided to take Vagabond's House out so that he could use it as the title piece for another book (which of course he eventually did).

      I remember reading an article that stated VAGABOND'S HOUSE would be published in book form as early as 1926 by his friend George Putnum...but that arrangement fell through.

      It wasn't until two years later that it was actually published by Dodd, Mead and Co. in New York.