4574Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Copies of DB sheet music -- anyone?

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Oct 11, 2010
      Not a clue.

      In a message dated 10/10/2010 4:19:53 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
      keith2draw@... writes:

      Hi Cadia,

      Sorry for the very late reply. I don't have much DB sheet music...only
      some copies of music Tom gave me awhile back.

      I was poking around in copyright entries again in the wee hours this
      morning and found three more early songs by Don. I listed four songs a few
      months ago, but these ones I've never seen before.

      "You Are the World To Me" words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt, May
      5, 1919

      "The Echo of Love's Lullaby" Words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt,
      arranged by Earl Blankenhorn, March 7, 1921, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

      "Oongoloo" Words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt, arranged by Earl
      Blankenhorn, March 7, 1921, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

      These songs were written during Don's Rockford, Illinois days and may be
      from musicals put on by the Rockford Art Guild. I'm curious who Henry Volt
      and Earl Blankenhorn are...has anyone heard the names before? I may have to
      look up the Rockford College yearbook again.

      Keith

      > What I would like now is photocopies of DB-related sheet music that I
      can give to Cyril when he is in Seattle on September 12. (What musician can
      look over actual sheet music and resist picking up a guitar?) The songs
      from Tropic Topics, Dream Girls and Hula Moon would be ideal, but any other
      early work by Anderson or Sawtelle is fine. Music by their contemporaries,
      John K. Almeida, Johnny Noble, Charles E. King, etc., is well represented
      in Hawaiian musicians' repertoires. I would like to see examples by
      Anderson and Sawtelle, preferably with DB lyrics, added to the mix.