4573Re: Copies of DB sheet music -- anyone?

  • Keith
    Oct 10, 2010
      Hi Cadia,

      Sorry for the very late reply. I don't have much DB sheet music...only some copies of music Tom gave me awhile back.

      I was poking around in copyright entries again in the wee hours this morning and found three more early songs by Don. I listed four songs a few months ago, but these ones I've never seen before.

      "You Are the World To Me" words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt, May 5, 1919

      "The Echo of Love's Lullaby" Words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt, arranged by Earl Blankenhorn, March 7, 1921, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

      "Oongoloo" Words by Don Blanding, music by Henry Volt, arranged by Earl Blankenhorn, March 7, 1921, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

      These songs were written during Don's Rockford, Illinois days and may be from musicals put on by the Rockford Art Guild. I'm curious who Henry Volt and Earl Blankenhorn are...has anyone heard the names before? I may have to look up the Rockford College yearbook again.

      Keith

      > What I would like now is photocopies of DB-related sheet music that I can give to Cyril when he is in Seattle on September 12. (What musician can look over actual sheet music and resist picking up a guitar?) The songs from Tropic Topics, Dream Girls and Hula Moon would be ideal, but any other early work by Anderson or Sawtelle is fine. Music by their contemporaries, John K. Almeida, Johnny Noble, Charles E. King, etc., is well represented in Hawaiian musicians' repertoires. I would like to see examples by Anderson and Sawtelle, preferably with DB lyrics, added to the mix.
      >
      > ~~Cadia

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic