4556Re: [aloha-donblanding] Copies of DB sheet music -- anyone?

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Aug 30, 2010
      Among My Hawaiian Souvenirs - by John Noble
      A photograph, a calabash, a paper lei
      Are my Hawaiian souvenirs
      Each token brings back memories
      All thru the day
      And may they last for many years

      When I am old and gray
      I`ll have the pleasure to say to you
      A photograph, a calabash, a paper lei

      Are my Hawaiian souvenirs

      In a message dated 8/30/2010 9:43:33 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
      duchess@... writes:

      I had a wonderful time in Honolulu . . . enjoyed meeting Donna and Jackie
      . . . drenched myself in Hawaiian music and hula . . . toured the
      beautifully restored Hawai'i Theatre that DB would have known so well.

      Now comes the good part. One of my favorite slack key guitarists, Cyril
      Pahinui, has expressed interest in performing and possibly recording hapa
      haole songs. I have provided lists of some of the music written by Alex
      Anderson, Edwin Sawtelle and others (some with lyrics by Don Blanding), with a
      view toward including some of this music from the 1920s and later.

      What I would like now is photocopies of DB-related sheet music that I can
      give to Cyril when he is in Seattle on September 12. (What musician can
      look over actual sheet music and resist picking up a guitar?) The songs
      from Tropic Topics, Dream Girls and Hula Moon would be ideal, but any other
      early work by Anderson or Sawtelle is fine. Music by their contemporaries,
      John K. Almeida, Johnny Noble, Charles E. King, etc., is well represented
      in Hawaiian musicians' repertoires. I would like to see examples by
      Anderson and Sawtelle, preferably with DB lyrics, added to the mix.

      No promises, of course. Perhaps the DB-related music is not suitable for
      what Cyril has in mind. But here's an opportunity to get the ear of one of
      Hawaii's legendary musicians, and perhaps those of other Hawaiian artists
      as well.

      Cyril has also hinted to me that a program of vintage hapa haole music at
      the Hawai'i Theatre might be an interesting project. How perfect a setting!

      So, who has material to share? Sharp, clean photocopies are all I need,
      perhaps a half dozen pieces to tempt Cyril into strumming a few chords.