4547RE: [aloha-donblanding] Hawaii, here I come!

    Aug 2, 2010
      How exciting and full of activity. Have a blast and let us all know what
      you did and what you find.

      From: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Cadia
      Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2010 10:48 PM
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Hawaii, here I come!

      Aloha, all ...

      As many of you know via Facebook and Twitter, I am making my first trip to
      Hawaii, leaving on Tuesday afternoon 8/3 and returning on 8/19.

      My HQ will be the Hokele Suites in Waikiki, within a stone's throw of the
      Ala Wai canal and quite near where DB lived in the early 1950s. The hotel is
      about 7 blocks from the beach and from my "home away from home" most
      evenings, the Kanikapila Grille at the Outrigger Reef. Here, each night of
      the week features a different music group. I'm looking forward to hearing
      each one at least once, some twice and, of course, my favorite slack key
      guitarist, Cyril Pahinui, on 3 Wednesday evenings.

      On Saturday 8/7, I'll be at the Gabby Pahinui Waimanalo Kanikapila, where
      about 100 musicians will be performing -- probably one of the largest jam
      sessions in the world!

      On Sunday 8/8, I'll attend the Royal Hawaiian Band concert at Kapiolani
      Park, stop in at Duke's for more music and cap off the day with guitarist
      Jeff Peterson at the Grille.

      On Sunday 8/15, I'll be at the slack key festival in Kapiolani Park, thence
      ot hear Jeff again.

      In between, I plan to walk as much of Waikiki and downtown Honolulu as I
      can, seeking the spots where DB either worked or lived between 1916 and

      I am also planning to visit the Bishop Museum to see the surfing exhibit,
      the Royal Hawaiian Hotel to see the Amelia Earhart photos and the Waikiki
      Aquarium to see the fishes. Of course, I will tour the USS Arizona memorial,
      Iolani Palace and the restored Hawaii Theatre and take in at least one bon
      odori festival. I'll spend at least one day riding the bus scross the
      mountains and up the Windward coast to Kahuku -- mostly just to enjoy the
      scenery and ocean air. And I'm hoping to take a sunset cruise off Waikiki.

      I do expect to spend some time reading microfilm at the Hawaii State Library
      and/or UH-Manoa and getting a better idea of what their collections might
      hold regarding DB. I may also stop in at the Star-Advertiser to find out
      what photo archives are accessible and perhaps to pitch a couple of article

      So, if you are on Oahu and would like to get together, please let me know
      via e-mail or leave a message at the hotel. Michael P. has already been in
      touch with me, but I know there are several others in or near Honolulu.
      Wouldn't it be great to get a bunch together for a DB gabfest? Of course,
      I'd also love to share the music events, too!
      I won't be carrying a laptop or cell phone, but there are 2 internet cafes
      within a few blocks of my hotel where I'll check e-mail at least every other
      day and my suite has voice mail.

      Looking forward to this trip and hope to see all of you who are on Oahu
      while I'm there.