      From: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Cadia
      Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2010 1:39 PM
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Re: I've found DB's Seattle address in 1928!

      Hello, all ...

      Finally got my scanner back in operation about 4:30 a.m. Friday (long
      night!) and just in time. In Friday's mail came the photo of 432 Belmont
      Avenue North (now East) that I ordered from the King County Archives.

      The photo is dated 1937 but the house probably looks pretty much the same as
      it did in 1928 when DB and Earl Cohan (Challenger) lived there in 1928:

      <a HREF="http://myglassduche
      <http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/432belmont.jpg>
      ss.freeyellow.com/images9/432belmont.jpg"> 432 Belmont Ave N</a>

      According to the data sheets that came with the photo, the house was built
      in 1883 and torn down about 1960 to make way for a parking lot across the
      street from the Corona Apartments, built about that time. Occupying the
      corner now is a large apartment building called Belmont Court, built in 2000
      and encompassing the lots where Nos. 424-432
      once stood. Next door now is No. 422, a brick apartment building that
      probably dates from before 1928.

      No. 432 was 2-1/2 stories high, with single-story porches on front and back.
      I can imagine DB sitting on that front porch (6 ft x 22 ft) and watching the
      sunset over the Olympic Mountains. Inside there were 6 rooms, 3 upstairs and
      3 downstairs, plus a full basement. The overall floor plan measured 31 ft x
      22 ft, excluding the porches.

      The exterior was clapboard, apparently a shade of brown that closely matches
      the brownish-pink brick apartment building across Republican St., which is
      still there. The white area under the eaves was a mix of Victorian
      "fishscale" and two geometric designs. Note the chevron design beneath the
      porch railing. The roof was shingled. Besides the porch at the back of the
      house (east side), there was a "vacated street" area and a 20 ft x 18 ft
      double garage shared with No. 428. I don't know if the garage was present
      prior to 1937.

      The data sheets include a small photo of the house as it appeared in 1952,
      which I will try to scan later. It shows more of the houses to the south and
      a single-story 7 ft x 17 ft "addition" on the north side of the house that
      might not have been there when the 1937 photo was taken.

      Sometime this coming week, if the weather cooperates, I plan to take photos
      of the intersection as it appears today. I also want to investigate the
      building at 1117 Harvard Avenue North (East) -- if it still exists! -- where
      DB and Earl had their first Seattle show in the fall of 1928.

      So, that's it for now. I guess you could call No. 432 DB's first mainland
      "vagabond's house" -- which seems appropriate since his book was published
      while he lived there.

      Enjoy!