4505Re: I have found Mike Hanapi!

  • Cadia
    Mar 4 9:43 PM
      Hello, all ...

      I had hoped to be able to show you a photo of Mike Hanapi and the other members of the Kalama Quartet, but my new hard drive refuses to allow me to install my scanner. One more aggravation!

      However, I have edited and transcribed the CD's liner notes by Bob Brozman, a master of the steel guitar who performs all over the world. You will find these notes at

      Files > Friends and Colleagues of DB

      which is a new folder I have added to the master list. Earlier I misstated the composition of the trio that morphed into a quartet and then into a quintet. The members of the Hanapi Trio included William Kalama and Bob Nawahine; Dave Kaleipua Munson was added to form the quartet and Bob Matsu contributed the second steel guitar.

      Read the notes and you'll understand why I am so excited to find this CD -- I probably should buy a duplicate in case I wear out the first one!

      I have found both Mike Hanapi (age 32) and Bob Nawahine (age 57) on the 1930 census, living at Helen Alexander's retreat near Westport, Connecticut. Their occupations are listed as "musician." Helen (age 42) is listed as proprietess of a tea room and owns substantial real estate. Another member of the household is a Japanese chef; the 3 men evidently shared a cottage near the main house in which Helen resided.

      Based on several versions of "The Talisman," I believe the conversation between Mike and DB took place sometime in 1931. One version mentions that DB had published 3 books; those would be The Virgin of Waikiki (1926), Vagabond's House (1928) and Hula Moons (1930). By 1932, DB had relocated to Taos, New Mexico.

      Trust me, you should hear the Kalama Quartet. Mike's beautiful falsetto and Bob Nawahine's incredible bass are reason enough!