4411James C. Blanding, DB's uncle; Joseph W. Blanding, DB's grandfather

    Nov 29, 2008
      Hello, all ...

      Hope everyone has had a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

      I have added more information to the Files about DB's uncle James C.
      Blanding, with whom DB spent time at Yellowstone National Park
      during his high school summers, about 1909-1911.

      At the time, James C. was in his mid-60s. However, I have found
      several newspaper items and other information about his life in the
      1870s, when he was a young surveyor in Dakota Territory.

      You'll find the bits and pieces at

      Files > Blanding Genealogy > Blanding > Biographical Notes

      and at

      Files > Publications > Dakota Republican, The

      Files > Publications > Sioux City [IA] Daily Journal

      In the Blanding Genealogy section, I have also added census
      information related to Joseph W. Blanding, DB's paternal
      grandfather. As nearly as I can determine, Joseph W. was born about
      1819 in Pennsylvania and was still living at the time of the 1900
      census in Richland County, North Dakota. He was evidently a
      widower; the household includes his single sons Walter D. and Joseph
      S. as well as a married daughter Emma Burbank.

      Even though Joseph W. is not shown on the 1910 and 1920 censuses, I
      have included these years for continuity. Both bachelor sons and
      their sister Emma remained in the same county for more than 40 years!

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic