4339Bohemian Poet's Group in Hawaii?

  • Yvette Fernandez Kama
    Mar 8, 2008
      Aloha to everyone -

      I'm seeking information if anyone has some about a poet's group that
      the late Bob Strauss referred to me. I've been researching Don
      Blanding to find ties to our great-great-grandfather Herbert Milton
      Shakespeare Ayres - he was an Englishman by birth - but spent much
      time in the islands prior to the overthrow and then returned after in
      mid-1890s. He published several poetic works of his own in 1900's and
      was a newspaperman /sportswriter-editor for both the local papers.

      Bob Krauss shared the following with me in April 2005:
      "However, in the back of my mind is a group of writers in the 1920 and
      30s, a bohemian, literary group to which Don Blanding belonged. It's
      seems to me that the name Ayres is associated with that bunch. But I
      can't give you a reference."

      If anyone has information about this literary group or even more
      knowledge of Herbert Ayres - I'd be greatly appreciative.

      Mahalo,
      Yvette Kama
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic