4322Re: [aloha-donblanding] Jimmy Buffet

  • Mike Gothard
    Feb 14, 2008
      Hi Tom,

      I'm a huge Buffett fan, too! In fact, it was Buffett that got me hooked on
      Blanding via Floridays. The poem on Volcano is as follows:

      Mystery South of Us

      Florida thrusts like a guiding thumb
      To the southern islands of rumba and rum,
      To the mystery-cities and haunted seas
      Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbes.
      Where the ghosts of Columbus and Pirates Bold
      Seek the islands of Spice and the Streets of Gold.
      Where the wandering phantom of Ku-Kul-Kan
      Haunts the temples he builded in Yucatan,
      Where the jaguars prowl and the lizards crawl
      On a broken altar and sculptured wall,
      Where Mayan rulers in arrogant pride
      Dreamed and schemed and suffered and died.
      The inlaid thrones and the sacred urns
      Are filled with orchids and stag-horn ferns,
      The witching moon of the tropic skies
      Caresses the lips and the dead stone eyes
      Of fallen idols of lust and blood
      That lie in the mold and the reeking mud
      Of fever-jungles The dust and bones
      Of men who quarried and laid the stones
      Of fabulous cities are turned to earth,
      The echoes of prayers and chants and mirth
      Of vanished people and priests and kings
      Are heard in the night-wind's whisperings.

      Florida thrusts like a guiding thumb
      To the southern islands of rumba and rum,
      To the lands of mystery that lie below,
      To the places I know I'm going to go.

      Don Blanding
      FLORIDAYS

      Also, the following is found on the Floridays album:

      "I have loved many lands...and love them well, Changing, chameleon fashion,
      to the spell of each land's colors; rhythming my heart to each land's song;
      striving to be a part."

      - From The Poem "To Florida" from the book, "Floridays" by Don Blanding

      Hope that helps,
      Mike