4262Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Curious

    Sep 14, 2007
      Boy did I miss a lot of discussion.....I have 20 minutes on this computer, so......I liked Keith's response and others as well. Don's sexual persuasion is not the important piece we are researching. It is there and known but so what. I've interviewed several people in their 80's who said, "Oh, Don Blanding that gay boy from Waikiki, he was so well liked by everyone that no one cares what he is". That's a pretty accurate quote. He was a personality, wordsmith, artist and mooch. He was loved most anywhere he went. As researchers we uncover little bits of information that sometimes lead to other finds that lead to newer finds, so on and so forth. That's research. I met an antique dealer on Kauai that had some DB pottery and we got to talking and now she's interested in our site. She didn't know we were researching him and was really excited about it. What Cadia and the rest of us have done in 7 years is amazing as far as I'm concerned. Aloha to all...tj

      keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote: Aloha Mike & Michael,

      You've made good points, and they are all well taken.

      There are about 4-5 Blanding researchers who frequent this board, and we are all busy
      piecing together his life from obscure newspaper accounts, magazine articles, long lost
      interviews and ebay ephemera. Blanding was after all born 114 years ago and has been
      gone for half a century. We do not have the luxury of having previously written and
      researched volumes of details on his life, such as you would already have for say someone
      like Thomas Edison, Edgar Allen Poe or Gertrude Stein (because, frankly, he wasn't as
      important as these folks). The people who knew Don well are now dead themselves. There
      are some old-timers that knew him in his later years...but obviously no-one alive who
      shared his early, developmental years.

      To us, the thrill of the hunt is as enjoyable as the actual body of work that Don left behind.
      So when one of us discovers a new clue (however small), and posts it on this board, it's the
      detective in us gloating about finding a long-lost detail of his life. We in no way mean to
      infer any importance to the clues (in the grand scheme of things) ...it's just fun to see little
      slices of his life from a distance through the binoculars of time [sorry, horrible cliche].

      Those of us who have been on this board from the beginning (Jan. 2000) have discussed
      many complex aspects of Don's life in-depth (such as his sexuality) ...but folks who have
      joined us in the last year or two will only see the lighter dialogue and assume everything is
      trivial on the board. I urge all newcomers to go back and read some of our older posts for
      more detailed talks that have already transpired.

      The bottom line is that to try and get to the "meat" of Don's life, his feelings, dreams,
      inclinations and quirks, we have to sort out all the finer details like where he lived, who he
      knew, and who he wrote to. That's all we have to go on for the moment. And if discovering
      that he had a bran muffin with Edgar Cayce on Thursday, April 3, 1924 leads to finding an
      entry in Edgar Cayce's diary that states Don made a sexual pass at him...well then there we
      have our proof!

      I think most of us are mature, open-minded adults and I for one feel that if Don was
      gay..."so what!" It wouldn't tarnish his image at all...it would just add to the interest. Most
      of us have expressed that opinion here. It's not disinterest that keeps us from discussing it
      (and as I said, we have talked about it in the past ad naseum) it's just that until we know
      for sure, one way or the other, it would just be conjecture. If he was gay, it would have had
      a huge impact on how he lived his life, who he trusted, how he separated his public
      personna of a big, strapping ladies-man poet who was respected by men as well, from his
      private, gentle, secluded life when not on the lecture circuit. But until we get the "smoking
      gun" letter or diary entry which reveals his sexual preference....we plug away on the
      research and try to build a profile of Don that is honest, sincere and revealing. It just takes
      time. Most of us have either 9-to-5 jobs, kids, grandkids, etc... which takes up the bulk of
      our time, and research has to wait for rare free time.

      I will say, this is the best dialogue we've had in a long time.